Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New tyres for a '01 VX Commodore S

NoName

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX S
Hey all,

I'm in the market for some new tyres and have tried looking for threads on here in regards to tyres, but couldn't really find anything. I'm probably blind. I need new tyres as the rear two are quite low on tread
I was wondering what might be a decent tyre for a '01 VX Commodore S.
I was using the calculator on Tyreright, but unsure if the results are what would be best for my car. As I'm going for something that won't cause too much noise on the road, but still be decent in wet and dry conditions and have decent tread. Economy would be nice too............. ugh everything would be nice wouldn't it!!!!
Results | Tyreright - The Right Tyres and Advice

As you can see, the Pirelli Cinturato P7 are the recommended crop of the bunch for it, but was wondering if anyone could give more insight. Also, any recommendations as to where I could get them from would be good as I don't want to spend an absolute bomb, but don't want to cheap out either.

As a side note, I did see that the Toyo TEO Plus seem to get good reviews?
Toyo TEO Plus Passenger & Light Commercial Tyre Reviews Australia www.toyotires.com.au

Thanks!

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Oh, just saw you have 16 inch wheels. Shame as i was going to recommend Brisdgestone RE92 XL's in 205/65/15. I've never had any issues with them and the tread has held up to a fair beating. I replaced two tyres earlier in the year with those Toyo Teo things and they are average, much noisier and because of the wide channels they pick up every freaking stone on the road and that makes even more noise. Stick with brands you know, or at least a name brand like Bridgestone.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have a set of the Toyo's on my VX SS Series 1 and they seem to be fine, no issues to date, have done around around 25,000km on them and they still look like new tread wise, they are in the 235/45/17 size though. Main thing I noticed when they were first fitted was how much quieter they were than the original Bridgestone B530's.

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
if you do not want to lose traction try get bridgestone re002s, they will last a lot longer if you keep the wheel alignments up as they are not so flexible on the sidewalls and soft as dunlops, michs, goodyear and any other tyre brand. Anyother tyre i wouldnt touch for normal road use as they either go out of shape, or it causes the steering wheel to shake which then use a bit more extra fuel. I worked at Bridgestone and Beaurepaires before so I know my tyres :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
a vote for Kuhmo KU31's they are well priced all round quiet tyres I have them on both my cars and have absolutely no issues with them - recommended!

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
I'd recommend a name brand also. KU31 Kumho's were great on my 02 vx s, I now have Nankang ns2 (but stepped up to 18's) and they have great grip also.
I stay away from bob Jane brand, probably last forever but so little grip! So hard a compound... That was in 225/55/16 as per standard s pac size...

NoName

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX S
Thanks for the suggestions above. Save me quoting them all,

I quickly checked my tyres this morning. The two fronts (which my mechanic is moving me to instead of the old brand which are still on my backs... he ran out of stock when he was going to replace them) are Triangle Sport ATP at 225/50R16. The two rear tyres are Maxxis SURPASA 225/50R16's.

Does this change any of your recommendations at all?
This is Bridgestones recommendations:
Tyre Result - HOLDEN COMMODORE VX S

Interestingly, I'm leaning towards to the RE050's or maybe the RE002's. Anyone had experience with them?
As for the Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31's, they look like a good deal aswell and I'd imagine a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thing is I like the stock rim's so that's why I don't want to change tyre size also.

Where would you recommend buying tyres from?

tsommerville

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Calais S/Charged 6
Hi There,

Just for my two cents, I have the Pirrelli P7's in 225/55R16 guise on my calais and they are awesome. I've been on them for quite a while now (i think like 20,000 at least) and they still grip fine, have plenty of tread left, they dont make too much noise on the highway, perform really well in the wet (even when towing my caravan), and they are pretty darn cost effective (I got mine for $175 a tyre but thats only because the bloke at the tyre shop is a mate of mine normally I think he said they were like $200-220 for the tyre, wheel balance, wheel alignment, new tyre valve, etc).

So it's a thumbs up to the pirrelli's from me :)

Carl Blance

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VX 2001
Thanks for the suggestions above. Save me quoting them all,

I quickly checked my tyres this morning. The two fronts (which my mechanic is moving me to instead of the old brand which are still on my backs... he ran out of stock when he was going to replace them) are Triangle Sport ATP at 225/50R16. The two rear tyres are Maxxis SURPASA 225/50R16's.

Does this change any of your recommendations at all?
This is Bridgestones recommendations:
Tyre Result - HOLDEN COMMODORE VX S

Interestingly, I'm leaning towards to the RE050's or maybe the RE002's. Anyone had experience with them?
As for the Kumho ECSTA SPT KU31's, they look like a good deal aswell and I'd imagine a hell of a lot cheaper.

Thing is I like the stock rim's so that's why I don't want to change tyre size also.

Where would you recommend buying tyres from?

Triangle tyres are cheap chineese tyres all ways see things going wrong with them, get RE002 I have used RE001s and they were really good in wet and dry. The RE002s are apparently a way better version of the RE001s. Remember to get warranty as Ill tell you a trick to beat their warranty system. As soon as your tread is getting low hammer in a nail near the sidewall, they will have no choice but to replace it. Kuhmos are cheap tyres as well you wont get as much mileage out of them especially if your using the highway a lot.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
You can't go wrong with either the pirellis or toyos for a quality economy tyre. The Pirelli tends to be softer than the toyo and may not last as long, but they will give better performance feel for longer. Yokohama also make good economy range tyres which are comparable to the toyo.
If budget is tight then maxxis is the way to go... Good taxi tyre, heaps of kms.

I've had no experience with Bridgestone during my tyre selling days (except earthmover tyres.)