Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New-Vs-Rebuild

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Well I wont say what im considering yet BUT wanting some info/thoughts
on Rebuilding Or Brand New ( Crate ) Engines

Iv been looking and thinking on rebuilding the GenIII 5.7, But have also seen you can buy them new for $4100 from Holmart I think it is? Now going the rebuilding side of things would take X amount of days, Or New Fit straight away. Which would be the better option IYO? Either option tho I'd still want some work done to it aswell. But if I went rebuild id have to wait X amount of days and if I went new and get everything done b4 I got it installed while haven the car running untill she gets built to how I want it.

And I also seen the 6.2L crate engines for alittle more how much stuffing around would there to fit that instead. Though with alittle work that would be fun also.

All this as well as a gearbox rebuild as well.

OR give me ya thoughts as too what you might/want to do instead.

This is all for my Vx Calais.

Hope that makes sence :p

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I'd say if your going to rebuild you might aswell go one of the strocker kits or something like that. Rebuilding stock with things like a cam and some other goodies will probably cost about the same if not less as a crate motor depending on what sort of things need replacing/machining. At my work the warranty rebuilds we use to do ( dont anymore as there's not many coming back with the old piston slap problems.) We basic clean ups with little or no machining and just new bearings rings and gaskets put through them.

As for the newer gen motors if your going to buy a crate you might aswell buy the better ones. I think you'd need ecu maybe loom aswell to suit some might not work with your current auto. I dont know much about the wiring ecu type related things with LS motors maybe someone else can add to this

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
rebuild, a trade school teacher always told us its better to rebuild an engine for performance as its had its running in and has gone through its flexing and hot cold changes, rather than a new engine that hasn't, and as stated the money you spend on the crate motor and then mods on top, you could probably build a stronger and more powerfull motor for the same money if not cheaper and have the money to do the auto at the same time, or even do diff gears on top off haveing the auto done with the money you saved useing your exsisting motor and not getting a crate motor.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Oh **** hey didnt think it would cost that much for the 6.2 lol I know just the engine is $7200 im pretty sure and box was $1850 for auto but yeh no ecu an other things i might need. Rebuild atm seems like the way to go?

To be honest im not too sure what I want in a motor. Like I dont want Huge power but something alittle noticable lol. plus the reason for the rebuild has well is the high k's she has 230,000??? So im also wanting to rebuild for that reason along with the box diff and all the running gear basicly. Engine/box/diff/suspension sorta things. Also would consider a SC later.

I'm going for a confrence next month for a acco ages ago and yeh thats my funds sorta thing if all goes well and they offer me a quik settlement.

But yeh so far more say Rebuild and I can c why as in running in sorta thing...

lumina01

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV UTE

didnt u just buy it? coulda spent more and got 1 with less k's?
on another note, theres a wh ls1 with over 500,000k's on the clock running mid 12 sec passes, think it was in sc mag awhile ago.
regular services is the way 2 go

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
To be honest K's dont bother me with any car as long as the service record is well and the car is clean like this one is. But with that said I mainly got it becoz I think its way more reliable then the old 1 even with higher k's. It was a compromise for me more than anything.

But OT 500,000 and still going strong is pretty good. I guess if you look after your cars they look after you....

GMMAD

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L GT35 4runner/VK calais
GMM has crate L98 for $3990