Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Zealand GPS question

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Well im off to NZ in 5 weeks and want to buy a GPS before we leave.How do i get the maps for NZ?I know very little about these and would love some help with it,Adam.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
off the manufactors website i would think.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
according to tomtom new zealand maps are only just now being implemented... not even sure if they are available yet. On a lighter note i just got Dr. Evil as my guide voice on my tomtom :)

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
^^ that would be so cool, turn left in 200m mwhahahahaha

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
no no, "In 200 metres, take the NEXT FRICKIN' LEFT!"

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
what sort of gps you getting in car or a hand held jobby its not like you can get lost in nz anyway its pretty small and well signposted lol.what sort of brand you thinking about ill have an enquire with my mate.he could quite possibly be able to help you out with gps maps over here depending on manufacturer.

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
what sort of gps you getting in car or a hand held jobby its not like you can get lost in nz anyway its pretty small and well signposted lol.what sort of brand you thinking about ill have an enquire with my mate.he could quite possibly be able to help you out with gps maps over here depending on manufacturer.

Hey spanners,we got a NavMan on the weekend,nice wide screen job.Told it would be about $200 for the maps for over there.My missus used to live on the south island its more to stop us from blaming each other for getting lost.

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Won't need a GPS over here! Just explain you're an Aussie and we'll soon tell you where to go :D being the friendly bunch that we are :thumbsup:
I know Navmans are sold here with all NZ maps in so they are available. South Island's dead easy anyway......if you are an the east coast, keep mountains on your left to travel north, on right to go south. West coast just reverse it :whistling :D
Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip!

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
Won't need a GPS over here! Just explain you're an Aussie and we'll soon tell you where to go :D being the friendly bunch that we are :thumbsup:
I know Navmans are sold here with all NZ maps in so they are available. South Island's dead easy anyway......if you are an the east coast, keep mountains on your left to travel north, on right to go south. West coast just reverse it :whistling :D
Anyway, hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks for that,i was there about 3 years ago on the south island as the missus is from Christchurch,loved the place.Cant wait to go getting sick of work and stuff.Havnt had time off in about 3 years.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Thanks for that,i was there about 3 years ago on the south island as the missus is from Christchurch,loved the place.Cant wait to go getting sick of work and stuff.Havnt had time off in about 3 years.
South Island is very well sign posted, most of the major attractions are available by Highway (all of which are **** easy to follow on a map). Most of the cities are so small, that detailed maps of their streets can be fitted on a big folding map. Even then, you will always be able to find your way to wherever you want, without a map, in the smaller cities and towns.

North Island is a bit different, but if you can deal with Australian cities, you won't even need a map for SI. Wellington is much more like an actual city. A GPS would come in handy there.