Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Next Car help VT,VX,VY,VZ

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Only thing with the Alloytec you cant really modify them..With the l67 you can put a decent tune and smaller pulley...The l67 is also kind of bullet proof i have heard and has much more downlow torque...So i might jsut test drive a few and see anyways

get diff gears and forget the rest - too much money for sfa gains.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
So shold it be a VY Calais (supercharged) or VY Spac (supercharged).. Only thing is i cant find a manual...They are all auto. Also one more thing coming from an ectoec to an L67 is there a big power difference (is it noticeable)

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
no factory supercharged vs to vy was manual.

Or think outside the box, LX8 Adventras are cheap and are the only legal LS1 equipped vehicle P platers can drive.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
So shold it be a VY Calais (supercharged) or VY Spac (supercharged).. Only thing is i cant find a manual...They are all auto. Also one more thing coming from an ectoec to an L67 is there a big power difference (is it noticeable)

Calais.

Cruising in Luxury is better then trying to be a race car driver.
Neither will be exactly fast, so my opinion get one with all the extra creature comforts you can. Climate control, cruise, leather, etc, etc.

no factory supercharged vs to vy was manual.

Or think outside the box, LX8 Adventras are cheap and are the only legal LS1 equipped vehicle P platers can drive.

Didn't know that. Is that because they weigh a ton (or 2) or does the 4wd system take out some power?

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
So my final choices after alot of thinking and lookign around are: VX Calais (Dont want a commodore with the VX because the interior isnt that nice), or a VY Commodore/Calais Spac supercharged. With the VY i dont mind it being a commodore since the interior is pretty nice in a commodore but if i could get one with a sunroof i would be happy...So what do you guys reckon? Keeping in mind suspension setup and just overall?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've been thinking about my next car too, and it's between a vx or a vy calais, preferably with the ls1. VX's are cheap now, whereas the vy's still have a bit more depreciating to do before they'll be within my price range.

BUT, I'll be sticking with the VS for a fair while I think, even when I do get my full licence. I don't need a newer or more powerful car and this one does the job just fine. I wouldn't bother with a base model commodore though, they're just not the same.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Even the newer commodores dont stand up with the calais? such as the VY and the VS? the only difference between the VY commodore and calais are the leather seats and the aircon controls?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
VX Berlina and Calais have a different front end to the Commodore but the dash is basically the same. They have power windows, climate control (Calais has dual climate control) Berlina gets velour seats, Calais has leather, Suede lower trim bits on doors/glovebox, Woodgrain facia surround or auto shift surround, level 3 dash cluster, chrome window trim, you might get chrome door inner handles, and so on.

Basically lots of little things that make life nicer.

The VYs would be similar but not as noticeable difference between the Calais and Commodore IMO.

Have you though about a Statesman by any chance?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Even the newer commodores dont stand up with the calais? such as the VY and the VS? the only difference between the VY commodore and calais are the leather seats and the aircon controls?

Even though I may be biased, the small things such as climate control, power windows, electric/leather seats, added sound deadening, better factory stereo, fog lights, usually nicer dash fascia, more aesthetically pleasing exterior among other factors make a MASSIVE difference.

I've driven and been a passenger in a number of newer commodores and they don't really compare in build quality or features to my VS. I've been in and driven a VY calais and a VZ calais, and they're awesome cars.

It depends on what you consider to be important though.