Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No First or Overdrive in VR

Lucas_89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
My '93 Series 1 VR Berlina (stock as a rock) has completely lost first and overdrive. If i put it back to first it just takes off in second then change to second and it doesn't change then change to third and it clunks into third then change to overdrive and it clunks again but doesn't actually change to overdrive because around 100+ks the revs are still really high like its in third and never changes to overdrive.
Also if i take off in Drive it takes off in third won't drop back to first or second and it doesn't kick back a gear at any time if i put my foot down

Anyone had this before? I really don't know too much about auto trans so not really sure what it could be. Have been told that could maybe one of the bands in the Trans being stuffed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Time for a rebuild, thats exactly what happened to mine (unluckily 4 days out of warranty) and had to get it rebuilt, they did tell me what broke but I've forgotten it's name, I do remember it was some metal thing that just tore apart..
The auto place said these VR/VS boxes usually last between 80-150k klms before they let go so if yours is past this then you have done good.

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I noticed the other day when i serviced my gearbox that when you leave the speed sensor unplugged it does the same thing (no frist or overdrive). So that would be something to check too. Maybe its the sensor, wiring or maybe a fuse that is buggered. Never trust a mechanic that you don't know personally. Mine has done 161K and still going strong.

stormsearcher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS,GSXR1000K6
just lost my auto.on the vr calais. 2nd hand vs box -$550/fitting and alteration fer solenoid etc -$590. hope it works well. if not going to wreck the calais. rebiuld was quoted at $1800.

coasty

the voices told me to
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz equipe & vt berlina both v6
daughters vr box is slipping. she just hopes it lasts until the end of this year so she can buy a hilux crewcab. its got 200k on it. only slips if you hit it hard off the lights. shes just nursing it around

stormsearcher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR CALAIS,GSXR1000K6
check the transoil if box is slipping. oil burns easily. it should be red.

WNTDVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Stato & Evo VII.
Just 2 weeks ago the exact same thing happened to mine also, exactly as you described it...bands in the box were shredded and clutch everywhere. Had a new box put in and it's perfect.

On another note, anyone know how much it costs to have the vr memcal reporogrammed so that the fault code error with them can be fixed?
Sorry to go off topic...

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Just 2 weeks ago the exact same thing happened to mine also, exactly as you described it...bands in the box were shredded and clutch everywhere. Had a new box put in and it's perfect.

On another note, anyone know how much it costs to have the vr memcal reporogrammed so that the fault code error with them can be fixed?
Sorry to go off topic...

what error code? i can do the reprogramming. cant you just reset the ecu to clear the codes?