Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No reverse lights

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
Hey fellas i not long bought a VS Calais which has had the motor and transmission replaced and i have no reverse lights.

Is the sensor in the tranny or on the selector? Iv had a quick look at the selector and im pretty sure i found it and i have constant power there in 1 wire but no power in the others even when in reverse..

The globes and fuse is fine so im a bit stumped. Do the sensor/switch (whatever you want to call it) generally fail?.

Thanks in advance :)

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
I had a similar issue about a year ago. The culprit was the inhibitor switch. Very easy to replace. It's located next to the shifter under the centre console. On the vt models onwards it was underneath the car on the left hand side of the transmission. My switch had failed to the point where I couldn't start the car. I wouldn't say it's a common fault. But they do fail.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
that switch is easy to fix by opening it up and bending the contacts to re-establish good contact. There's a how to in the how to section of this site with good pics. On my VP the speedo and reverse lights are on the same fuse and the speedo drops up and down once you get up to good speed to indicate the blown fuse (I figure the speedo has a back-up circuit so that it doesn't fail completely) but chances are it's the inhibitor switch.

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
Thanks guys. I will check it out within a couple of days and get back to you.

Cheers :)

imrhoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman, 2013 VE II SV6 Thunder Ute.
Thanks guys. I will check it out within a couple of days and get back to you.

Cheers :)

How did ya go bud?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2