Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No spark, no injector pulse VR V6

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys I recently purchased a vr V6 column that im going to put a V8 into. The V6 in there has given the previous owner grief. Its now got no spark and no injector pulse. He has previously replaced the CAS. He suspects it might be the DMI. Given I dont have the injector pulse or spark does this lend itself to CAS or DMI more or neither? it could still be either of those? thanks in advance!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Most likely some sort of issue related to the ignition system. The PCM can't fire the injectors until it gets a timing signal from the ignition. However you should see one injection pulse when you first hit the key as I believe the PCM fires a priming pulse to help get it started.

The DFI module is the brains of the ignition system but you would need to test he ignition signal output from the DFI

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
yeah im totally useless at elec diagnosis! im good at swapping part though! thanks mate

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fair enough, most people don't have the test gear to diagnose these issues, myself included. Ideally you need a scope meter to be able to properly trace inputs and outputs.

The other option is been able to hook up a diagnostic computer to the PCM (Tech2 or equivalent) and see what that tells you.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
was the DMI. luckily I didn't rule it out for 1 second... despite it being brand new aftermarket