Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise after lowering & changing Diff....what could it be?

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
Ok so hubby has lowered his car (98 VT), super lows, also changed the tailshaft & Diff, not sure if it matters but its now LSD and a VX tailshaft for those playing at home.

Now there is a sound.... hubby isn't sure what it could be, when driving, it sounds like uummm you know those things aboriginals swing around to communicate? (seen in Croc Dundee, sorry but its the only way I can explain it LMFAO!) it sounds like that, you cant hear it from the outside, only from the inside, so it isn't really loud. We are pretty sure it isn't the diff, we heard that it the last car before it came out and it was fine then.

Any ideas? TIA

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Ok so hubby has lowered his car (98 VT), super lows, also changed the tailshaft & Diff, not sure if it matters but its now LSD and a VX tailshaft for those playing at home.

Now there is a sound.... hubby isn't sure what it could be, when driving, it sounds like uummm you know those things aboriginals swing around to communicate? (seen in Croc Dundee, sorry but its the only way I can explain it LMFAO!) it sounds like that, you cant hear it from the outside, only from the inside, so it isn't really loud. We are pretty sure it isn't the diff, we heard that it the last car before it came out and it was fine then.

Any ideas? TIA

When you lower an IRS car, you need a camber kit installed. Was this done?

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Doesn't do it when idling, only driving forwards and not when reversing. You can only hear it when doing around 40kms.

He did the tailshaft himself, so it would have been done properly (well you would hope so LOL), its all aligned too.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
Doesn't do it when idling, only driving forwards and not when reversing. You can only hear it when doing around 40kms.

He did the tailshaft himself, so it would have been done properly (well you would hope so LOL), its all aligned too.
Well I would think if it wasnt aligned properly it would make the noise from when u start moving. Whats the condition of the tail shaft? Maybe its your flex or uni joint causing the noise, spray it with some lube and see if it makes any difference? My car made a weird noise at certain speeds when my flex joint was faulty.

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I actually have no idea WTF I am on about, to me it's a big metal thing he has spent all weekend on :rofl: and he had some other big red metal thing that he used to align it. I have pictures to guide me LOL.
The tail shaft is good as far as we know, out of one of my dads cars, will get him to check that out though, thanks :D

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
I actually have no idea WTF I am on about, to me it's a big metal thing he has spent all weekend on :rofl: and he had some other big red metal thing that he used to align it. I have pictures to guide me LOL.
The tail shaft is good as far as we know, out of one of my dads cars, will get him to check that out though, thanks :D

Well technically there shoudnt be too many places the issue could be coming from, either the joints on the tailshaft or the diff itself?

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
Another thing to consider is the alignment of the diff itself, as there is room for adjustment on the sub frame, as this will affect the tail shaft and cv's. As regarding the camber and toe correction kits, was 1 or 2 kits installed. Reason I ask is that if 2 kits are installed and not adjusted correctly they cause damage to diff's. They should only adjust the inner kit for toe adjustment only and the outter kit for camber adjustment only otherwise you can experiance vibration nosie and even damage.

Jezz