Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise From the Brake/Tyre

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL(VeryLow) Commodore Exec.
Can you get a wierd sort of a noise/feeling form bald front tyres??? I getting a constant sort of a rock in the wheel noise but faster and stronger. Pull my bearings out and checked them they are fine. Pull the calliper off, got rid of the rest of the dead frog that was crunched up inside, put it all back together properly and is still making the noise.
Only seems to happen once i've been driving a little bit and she's all warmed up.

Only sounds like it is coming from the front right wheel (the one with the frog), but both tyres are bald on the inside.

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
you could try putting the back tyres on the front and the fronts on the back
the tire wear suggests you need a wheel alighnment but I dont think it would cause the noise, mnaybe front suspension wear or the steering linkages

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Check the anti rattle springs on your brake pads. They might be bent from the frog being in there. Make sure they have the same tension on them as the other side that doesnt rattle

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
get new tyres and a wheel alignment....see if the noise changes from there. grab the top of your front wheel and shake the crap out of it ie. as if youre pulling it away from the car...if you feel movement, it is one of two things. wheel bearings or the nut that holds gas inserts in your struts. check that, let us know how you go, but FFS, please get some good tyres.
stay safe
The Maniac

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well i got new tyres yesterday, still makes the noise when it warms up...Cant stop the wear on the inside of the tyres cuz the car is so low and cant put a camber kit in to fix it.

The pads fit in the calliper tightly.
Doesn't look like the discs need machining, not completely sure.

How many sets of bearings are the in the wheels????
Not sure about anything behind the calliper/disc something in there, took one look and just thought im not sure if i should touch.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Are you running bigger rims and tyres? the tyre could be rubbing the strut.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
There are two bearings in each wheel, the one closest to the strut is much larger than the outer one that you see wheen you undo the nut. You may have to pull the seal out to see the inner bearing. If your not sure about whats in the brakes just put the front up on blocks so you can compare the left side to the right. Both sides are the same.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
sound like it needs to be looked at. sucks that the car is too low to have wheels turning properly.... doesnt that tell you something?

Jules86

The Cream Machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
Car is running on 16's...It tells me that my car is too low :p It'll look like **** higher, also loose it's reputation. For the next person to fix if they have a problem, had the car for 3 years, think its time for a change. I'll get a project VL when i move out of home, Again :|.

The tyres only rub the strut while turning with weight, or on a slight hill turn/roundabout. They guards cut the tyres with weight and full lock, or uphill u-turns.

Where abouts is the inner bearing located? Ive replace the outer ones on both wheel already.

Would it be possibble that having the frog in there has bent my disc? I am only thing round the brakes cuz it happens when it warms up (the Disc/Brakes).

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
i doubt in completeness that the frog would do any damage. metal expands with heat, so once your brakes are warm any warping would be more obvious.