Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisey power steering when turning right

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
hello,
my power steering makes a hmmmming sound when I turn the steering, but now I realise its much louder when turning right, and almost normal when turning left. Does this noise mean pump or actual steering rack needs to be replaced? I have a spare VP with no noises in the steering, so what do i swap, from easiest to hardest?
Could the camber of the road cause premature wear in the power steering? Car is VP.
There is ample fluid, and no noticable leaks,
Colin

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
climb under the car and cut the inner cabil ties off the boots for the rack. see if there full of fluid , this will mean the seals in the end of tha rack have died and its leaking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
So if no fluid, steering rack is OK?

If I find no fluid in the boots, I should give cold hard 'im gonna remove you' stares at the steering pump? Is this how it works!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
My Gregorys fails to show me anything like that in there, great $50 I spent there! A 'Pressure Sensor' you mean?..... I cant find it. Just tell me its in the pump, cause im sure removing the rack is gonna suck ass as a low cost (read free) job. I used have ball joint splitters, but then there is front end alignment, that i can only do with chalk and rolling the car backwards and forwards. I guess paying for an alignment isnt a major hassle ($35-$50) but I'm limited with what I can do, with few tools, and less cash. I do have a spare car for bits, which is closer than the local wreckers!
So for noisy steering, cheapest easiest fixes in order?
1> fluid and connection check
2> leaking seals replaced in rack? (can this be done without splitting, i.e can i unscrew a tie rod)
3> replace power steering pump
4> replace steering rack
any helpful hints would be more than appreciated, I am mechanicaly able, but this is my first REAL car, so tell it all.
Thank you,
Colin

vn_lexcen_s2

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 lexcen vn S2
50 bucks for a gregory's geeze. u overpaid. my car did that for a while too. then i chuked different power steering fluid in her and no more noise..dont know what happened but yeh. maybe if u talk angrily at it for a while and ask it to stop being a groany bitch she will stop moaning...but thats just me

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
ok if the seals are gone in the rack, the rack needs to be replaced
id start with the pump thats usually the noisest pars

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive S2 3.8L
Waiting for daylight

Will let you know what I find, hmmm thats something to the mix, is there a preferred power steering fluid from actual VN-VP drivers?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
MyVPIsFasterThanYourVP

Slips? :)

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I got a similar problem, it sounds like the tyre is rubbing (buts it not) only on full left lock. No leaks or anything the best way to describe the noise is a tyre scrubbing noise.
Any ideas??