Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisey v8

vrclubbie

Reaction score
got a vr clubsport and it makes this ticking sorta noise under load at low rpm, i thought it could be pinging??? tried optimax and octane boost then changed to regular ulp no change my mtae reckons all of em do it, im just worried its something bad any help?

S

scott8888

probably the fuel injectors they tend to make a ticking noise could someone confirm this?
Scott.

O

oldn64

It is the injectors on the 8. I have a VR SS and it is very noticable. Do not worry it is normal. My car is not the only one. my mates VN Group A does it as does another mates VN Calais.

Cheers

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Totally normal. When I bought my VSII Statesman in '99 I noticed it straight away. All the other V8 '96/'97 models I test drove back then did the same thing.

Mark.

vrclubbie

Reaction score
thanks guys i was worried it was detonating, or maybe stuffed top end, i can sleep easy now, thanks!

dale-jcf

Reaction score
Is it making this noise under load at low RPM?

At idle, the injectors are noisy, but if you get a noise under load at low RPM, it probably is pinging. Is the noise the same as the injector noise at idle?

As its a HSV there should be a knock sensor, which should prevent pinging and you shouldn't be able to hear it.

Adding premium ULP or an octane booster should lessen the effect if its pinging.

The manuals suggest testing the knock sensor by tapping the block with a hammer and watching the idle speed drop. Check that this is the way to test it first before you try it.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
id say its the injectors, they make a ticking noise
it COULD also be pinging.. check your timing n make sure its not too far advanced, otherwise u will be getting early detonation
on a v8 commodore, it will be 10 degrees before tdc

vrclubbie

Reaction score
where are the the timing marks on it? how do i check this?
also how would i know if my lifters be fudged

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
u need a timing gun
there is a degrees scale to the left of the harmonic balancer (big bottom pulley) n at idle, in learning mode, the mark should be on around 10 degrees before top dead centre
i squeezed a little more out of mine by running it up to 12, but i run a high octane petrol, n my cars fitted with a knock sensor