Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Fuel Pump

Mr Bungle

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 VS S Ute
Hi all, I've got a '00 VS Ute and had a fuel pump die on me a few months ago. I changed it myself with a Delphi one and have had zero issues at all up until the other week when it was 40+ for four days in a row. On the hottest day (44c), I drove home from work as per usual and found that as the drive progressed, the fuel pump "whine" seemed to get louder. It seemed to change pitch when the fan, AC or indicator went on (battery being used I guess). I had about 1/3 tank of fuel left (no fuel light on). I stopped by the supermarket and restarted the car, it seemed to struggle a bit to start and then when I accelerated it started surging. I made it home and the next day it was fine. I filled it up with some petrol and haven't had the surging issue at all again, but the the fuel pump "whine" seems to get louder if the weather is hot (did it again yesterday when it was 40c). Any ideas what this is due to and if it can be fixed? Please dont say to replace the fuel pump again as I really really dont want to have to do that again haha

cheers

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ive personally found I can hear the whine of the pump most of the time due to the location of the pump and the tank in comparison to the driver.
old and new pump did the same thing.

did find that some sound deadening did help a bit, not a lot but enough.

otherwise put the music up louder, wind down the window or just wait it out, eventually you just wont recognise the sound as you're just used to it :p

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Utes of this year are pretty terrible for fuel pump whine. Maybe this is just its normal noise after wearing in somewhat from new. Probably not wise to assume that somehow temperature damaged it, which is pretty unlikely.

Also, as the fuel pump supplies a constant flow, its not going to change when you accelerate. A fuel pump operates at 100% or nothing at all. It's not hooked up to the to the throttle. If it does change, its most likely due to alternator output voltage and supply voltage to the fuel pump fluctuating for whatever reason. Even saying this, under normal driving conditions, heck, even under full throttle you aren't going to be using anywhere near the full capability of the fuel pump unless you have some sort of forced induction.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
did the pump come with warranty? fitted professionally? always could refer back to these sources if applicable...

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Did you fit the rubber sleeve over the fuel pump? They are noticeably noisier if you leave that off.