Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy power steer pump

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
So the power steering pump in my VE makes a pretty loud whining sound, it is louder than the engine and pretty noticeable. The steering feels fine and it's not leaking and has been doing it since I bought the car about 4000km ago.

Is it about to fail or is just a case of **** happens? I had a pump replaced in my old VY and the new one whined like crazy too that's why I'm asking.

I've been quoted $450 to replace it so if it's just noisy I'll live with it.

Cheers

VZSV857

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 Built L77 M6 430rwhp
So the power steering pump in my VE makes a pretty loud whining sound, it is louder than the engine and pretty noticeable. The steering feels fine and it's not leaking and has been doing it since I bought the car about 4000km ago.

Is it about to fail or is just a case of **** happens? I had a pump replaced in my old VY and the new one whined like crazy too that's why I'm asking.

I've been quoted $450 to replace it so if it's just noisy I'll live with it.

Cheers

Shouldn't whine at all. If the steering feels fine the fluid may be aerating. Check the reservoir for bubbling/foaming.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Mine was whining, replaced with genuine and no issues afterwards

Just cos you had a differing experience with old car doedsnt mean will happen this time

But with old car, depends.if rebuilt, reconditioned or second hand

Genuine part NEW should not whine

And shop around for genuine. I bought off eBay genuine and was half the normal price elsewhere or in dealership

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
Shouldn't whine at all. If the steering feels fine the fluid may be aerating. Check the reservoir for bubbling/foaming.

Sorry for slow reply, car has been in crash repairers.....yeah the fluid does look a bit foamy.

Guess the pump is stuffed then?