Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Normal Temp On Vl

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
my vl use to sit just slightly under halfway and use to creep up to 3/4 then the hole on top of the water pump started to leak a little bit . so I changed the water pump and now hot days it doesn't pass the second mark, aircon on goes up and down but not pass the half way. there was a clump of rust built up on the impellor shaft of the pump that had to be causing flow restriction

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
The temp difference between the second bar and half way is only a few degrees

BJOHNB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Thanks to all you guys on your views, I might have solved the problem, took the thermostat out to see if it would run cooler, barley got to second line, there was 76.5 deg thermostat in there I tested it out in some boiling water and it took a while to open and when it did only opened up about 10mm, maybe its stuffed?

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
Sounds like it.

Make sure you don't run around without a thermostat for too long.

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
genuine thermostats run on the second notch, aftermarket run half way, thats the reason for the difference, put a genuine one in and it will go back down provided you have decent coolant/rad etc

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
also, just come to me, that some vls I think series 1 only have two core radiators and most vls have three core radiators! what is yours?

john kostandelos

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 5.0i
mine used to sit just over half way. till i found out in side the speedo instrument cluster a earth screw was missing witch is behind the fuel and oil gauges

jdl6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
Recently got a VL from my younger brother after he and his mates treated quite unfairly! Done a few 200Km drives in it over the last week and on a nice hot day i.e. 26-32 degrees, the temp gague sits just below the first bar. It only climbs slightly when stuck in traffic for awhile. So far it's got no coolant in it and has a slight water leak at the water pump. Looking to replace the cylinder head on it shortly as they've snapped around half of the exhaust manifold studs in the side of the head, so I won't be replacing the coolant and water pump until then. Reckon I'll also do a flush on the radiator using some loctite radiator flush.

I'm sure these things aren't supposed to get drastically hot when the cooling system is in good order!

Cheers!
Jim.