Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Advice for P Plate License Suspension.

abclarke

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII S
Hey guys i need some advice on an issue i have. I got done speeding (doing 45 in a 40 zone at 3:55pm) through a school zone and jsut got the letter then saying im losing my license for 3 months.

Is there any chance that i could put forward an appeal on the grounds that i need my car for my job? Im a fitter/machining apprentice and my job requires me to travel around the sydney area with my huge toolbox. Pretty much i cant drive i cant work. Not to mention that im my wifes ride home from work at 10pm through out the week.

I know i got done and i accept i made a mistake, but what are my odds in winning an appeal and say getting a good behaviour bond or something instead?

Cheers.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
You should be able to be granted a 1 year good behaviour bond (no demerit points for 12 months or you lose your license for 6 months). However, thats in Victoria, you should check up on the NRMA or whatever the NSW equivalent of VicRoads is...RTA or whatever.

Losing your license for 3 months for doing 5 over, regardless of a school zone is an absolute **** deal. I don't agree with it.

abclarke

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII S
Yeah any kind of speeding fine for P platers in NSW is just a full on 3 month suspension. Probably not good that it was during school hours but honestly i was 5mins shy. Either going to have to appeal it or just wear it and try and weld up a toolbox on wheels to attach to my pushbike :(

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Speeding penalties

harsh, 5 points for upto 10ks over in a school zone, which from what i can see goes til 4pm. best sync your watch next time. with those sort of points, even do the zone limit for 5-10 minutes outside of the times just to be safe.

id suggest looking at the site, or calling the rta, see what your chances are.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I doubt appealing will get you anywhere, they dont back down on the school zone stuff, i knew someone that had a clean record and no points lost for 20 years and got done in a school zone and they wouldnt cancel it. its a zero tollerence area

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
You should be able to be granted a 1 year good behaviour bond (no demerit points for 12 months or you lose your license for 6 months)..

That only applies to Full licensed drivers in NSW. I agree it is harsh but unfortunately laws are laws. I dont think they will let u off on this one.

SMURFTEC.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S Commodore
as TVR said mate, the SDRO only look kindly upon people who have had a clean record for the last ten years, in this case they are willing to let you off a speedcamera fine etc. There is zero tolerance for school zones as a fully licensed family friend got done in a school zone with a 20+ year driving record, the SDRO wouldnt budge.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Apply for a workers licence not sure if they have them where you are but they have them here. Means you can only drive in certain hours.