Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT speed limit web site

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Where did HSV do their hero runs to set the record for the Worlds Fastest Ute?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
NAhh, didn't they do one like a land speed record where they time the car over a flying mile and do the same run in the opposite direction to work out a combined average speed.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Yes, Thats what they did in the top link.

271 kph in a UTE

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Didn't actually use any telephony services, just an iPhone digital camera. Anyone who has been up here or lives up here knows that once you are a couple of kilometres out of town, (any town in the NT), you don't have any reception, (unless you have a satellite phone), so any use of sms texting, telephone calls, or any other use of telephony services is impossible.

Also your opinion of "insane speed" is not one that I and many other share. I didn't exceed 190kph as it felt comfortable, stable, safe, suitable for the weather and road conditions and I certainly didn't feel it was insane. Clearly the highway patrol officers that I passed didn't feel it was insane either although I will grant you the possibility that they thought it was so insane that they thought it would be sheer lunacy to try and pull me over however remote that possibility is/was.

However I respect your opinion.

I actually do a lot of personal and work related travel in the NT and have been driving up here before the speed limits were imposed. Most of the time I am happy to sit on 140kph to 160kph during a clear day. I do slow down to 80 to 100kph during the night and inclement weather.

I don't see an issue with what you were doing. Those roads are stupidly flat and there's nothing around for miles. Personal responsibility is dead and buried and a lot of people wont be happy unless there are no choices to make. Even though you would have been safe as houses.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Is it against the forum rules to reply to a post in a thread that is 8 years old?

SSV can you please tell me the cut off date and time for replying to posts and if 8 years is too long then is 5 years old ok, 2 years old ok, 12 months old ok, 6 months old ok, 2 weeks old ok?

I am currently residing in and have been for many years in the NT.

The NT MVR, (Ministry of Vehicle Registry), has a requirement that all vehicles older then 5 years of age since manufacture are required to undergo a road worthiness inspection and receive a certificate of such road worthiness from an NT authorised road worthiness inspector every 12 months before they are able to receive and before being able to reach a legally registered and insured state.

My vehicle has undergone and passed such a road worthiness inspection at the MVR inspection office on the Stuart highway which is where I always go, (although you can go to any authorised inspection workshop/mechanic and some of them are dodgy). I still have a few months rego left on my VS and when it is due for another inspection I will go to the NT MVR office in Alice Springs as I don't have anything to hide.

As to your inference that my vehicle is unprepared for such a foray on the highways of the NT I would like to remind you of the above points that I have addressed in my reply to avoid having to repeat them.

I would also add that I didn't just wake up after a night on the piss and decide to flog the fvkking guts out of my VS Clubby without checking the oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid levels, brakes and fluid, coolant level, tyres and tyre pressures etc etc etc etc.

I did do that speed on cruise control for over 100 kilometres both ways. Check on Google maps yourself for the distances.

As for the accuracy of the trip computer I cannot personally vouch for its accuracy.
Im not even going to read your post, my opinion is what you did/do was/is stupid and dangerous.

Biznatch303

Pew Pew Lasers
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR Ute/ 16 MQ Triton
I live and work in Katherine, NT and i think 130km/hr speed limits are fine, no need to go faster than that. There is wayyyyyy to much wildlife and random crap wondering onto the road whenever they feel like it.

Then there is the sub standard "highways", i could get lost in some of the potholes on the Stuart Highway!

But you still get retards that go screaming past you like you're standing still. Guess they're in a rush for their funeral.....

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
I live and work in Katherine, NT and i think 130km/hr speed limits are fine, no need to go faster than that. There is wayyyyyy to much wildlife and random crap wondering onto the road whenever they feel like it.

Then there is the sub standard "highways", i could get lost in some of the potholes on the Stuart Highway!

But you still get retards that go screaming past you like you're standing still. Guess they're in a rush for their funeral.....

I don't currently as the limit is 130, but some of the straighter sections drive you nuts.

But I don't see the issue with driving at a speed thats comfortable. If people wanna take the risk, I think they should be allowed to, in this case. Seriously, riding a motorbike in town is more dangerous. Literally.

Having said this, there is a lot of wildlife around Katherine, particularly dawn and dusk. It is simple to take it easy at these times.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If i lived in the NT i would be setting up my car appropriately and doing the same thing.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Im not even going to read your post, my opinion is what you did/do was/is stupid and dangerous.

lol this guy.... The gumbynet has done a great job brain washing you !