Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NU13's Redhot SS

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
SS is looking great. tad different to what we are used to seeing!

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
What is usual for Australia? Is the painted rear insert different?
Yeah I can't recall seeing it ever tbh.

I had tossed around the idea of painting mine gloss black. But I don't think I will.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Small update after a while away from the site. In two weeks i'll be installing a 25% powerbond underdrive pully kit and trying out a new ECU to try and pin point an issue or two.

Make sure to use a new crank bolt and torque it to spec. Also apply 243 Loctite on the thread and some flange sealant on the head of the bolt.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Small update after a while away from the site. In two weeks i'll be installing a 25% powerbond underdrive pully kit and trying out a new ECU to try and pin point an issue or two.

As K-BAGZ said plus don't use the new bolt to pull the balancer onto the crank.
Sometimes there is only a couple of threads contacting at first and you run the risk of stripping out the internal thread in the crank.
I went to the local hardware and bought a same size bolt/ thread but 15-20mm longer just to pull on the balancer then changed over to the "new" bolt for torqueing.
Remember do not reuse the old bolt as they are made to stretch when torqued and can snap when re used.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Cheers guys. I have specified to my tuner that i want new belts and a new ARP bolt and washer put on. From researching i have that the only you generally run into is when people try and reuse the old bolt. The cost of a new bolt verses possible repair costs it just aint worth risking it on the old bolt.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Cheers guys. I have specified to my tuner that i want new belts and a new ARP bolt and washer put on. From researching i have that the only you generally run into is when people try and reuse the old bolt. The cost of a new bolt verses possible repair costs it just aint worth risking it on the old bolt.

That's good but as I said at the beginning sometimes the balancer is a tight fit and people use the balancer bolt (whether new or old doesn't matter) to pull it on.
And that's where problems can arise because sometimes the bolt only catches 1 or maybe 2 threads and as they put pressure on the balancer the bolt strips out the internal thread.
Then you have to be really careful not to cross thread the new bolt in the crank.
BTW I have never had any problems running the 25% U/D Balancer despite what the gloom sayers say about them and my car has power everything.