Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nylon sump plug washer - VX Commodore

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
Hi, What's the "nm" for the VY Series 2 Ecotec Sump Plug?

Doing mine for the first time and don't want to strip it, or have it leak.

I bought a new washer from GMH but the old one looks fine and has compressed slightly to seal.
It was very tight to get off. I had to use a short breaker bar.

Can I re-use the old washer to make life easier? Or not recommended?

Doing the oil change right this second so hoping someone reads this in the next 5-10 minutes. :)

Thanks.
.-.-.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I always put a new washer on the VS.
I had 1 leak so had to buy a clean container to drop oil in to so I could use again and YOU KNOW WHAT HAD TO BUY A NEW WASHER.

vk4akp

Starfire, Fear V Power!!
Reaction score
Website
shazam.zapto.org
Members Ride
2004 VY2 - Commodore Wagon,VC Commodore (Starfire)
I ended up using the new washer. It's different to the one previously fitted.
I'd say the old one was a generic and the reason it spread around the outer edges of the sump plug.

The OEM GMH one fitted much better.

Using a 3/8th driven ratchet (+ 19mm socket?) I think it was I tightened it firm and then nipped it with the feeling of a tight nip / give 3 times in total. Similar feeling to when you nip the alloy spark plugs. I then put the 1/2" breaker bar on it and put a reasonable amount of force on it and could not feel it wanted any more (no further give without going stupid).

I did the oil change without putting the car up on ramps so only had about a foot of room to try and swing the bar. So not ideal for trying to apply any major force. However I didn't really want to go nuts on it anyhow as after all it's not a head bolt! LOL! ;)

The car has the police country suspension pack fitted so sit's higher then a normal VY2. Otherwise I would most likely not been able to do the oil change on the ground. Even now I could only just squeeze under it.

I started it and looked for leaks on the filter and sump plug before putting the sump scrub protector plate back on.

I think I went a little too tight on the filter but not majorly nuts or anything. But the old one was quiet loose when I went to take it off.
The new filter got 3 reasonable nips with the rubber filter wrench.

Transmission is not due for some time but I'm considering doing that myself also. Not looking forward to that. It's a lot more involved.
To get it done by a mechanic I was told $300-$350 + $100 extra if I wanted it power flushed! :(

.-.-.

bushpig666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Well over 3 and a half years later I'm still using the same nylon sump plug washer. That's over 80,000 km's and an oil change every 5000km's. For $0.50 I reckon that's value for money.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If the engine got hot enough to melt that Nylon washer your hoses would also be killed, your engine cover would catch fire, fuel line fittings would fail and your engine would explode.:gun2::rockon:
I've used plenty of fibre washers in the past too until my kit ran out. :(

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
If the engine got hot enough to melt that Nylon washer your hoses would also be killed, your engine cover would catch fire, fuel line fittings would fail and your engine would explode.:gun2::rockon:
I've used plenty of fibre washers in the past too until my kit ran out. :(

God I`m glad I use the metal ones :yeah:

bushpig666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Well it hasn't melted after 80,000+ km's and according to the reliable source of wikipedia the melting temp is between 190–350 °C, so I don't think it's gonna happen. I don't know why I couldn't get the aluminuim washers to seal but I wouldn't go back after the success of the nylon washer anyway.