Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 Sensor replacement

VZ05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Hi all,

I just had the 'powertrain' warning come on in my car on Friday. Took it to Holden and said it was the o2 sensors on both sides. (it's out of warranty)

Just wondering how many the VZ's have?

Are they easy to replace?

What cost am I looking at for the sensors?

Genuine or aftermarket?

Do I need any special tools for doing the job?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
2006 onwards they are Euro 4 compliant and apparently have 4 such sensors.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I recently had two replaced, cost me $300. I think they were either the front two or two left ones.
BTW i was told they are different to the 175 Alloytec oxy sensors

VZ05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Fairly expensive then, they said it would cost me a bit over 250 but i thought i'd save a few $$ and learn a few things by putting them in by myself?

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
That wasn't holden price by the way. Stopped in at holden when the warning came up to confirm it was oxy sensors and told me it'd cost $50+ to discover problem plus another $250+ if it was an oxy sensor, so i told them to stick it!

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
190kw engines have 4 sensors full stop, 175 engines up to 2005 have only 2 sensors pre-cat and 172kw from 2006 have 4 sensors 2 pre-cat and 2 after-cat
i would look at the plugs and check that the terminals are clean to start off with, then proceed to look at the sensor itself, should be 22mm spanner and yeah check for excessive soot buildup, if your aminent theres no problem and you know how to test o2 function i would go to holden or your mechanic/tuner with diagnostic equipment and get the codes cleared to see if it reoccurs, before replacement, past experiance ive found if the engine is running pig rich/or lean beyond its correction ability it will also trigger this error.
heres some very good release information on o2 sensors.
Bosch - Oxygen Sensors

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
190kw engines have 4 sensors full stop, 175 engines up to 2005 have only 2 sensors pre-cat and 172kw from 2006 have 4 sensors 2 pre-cat and 2 after-cat
i would look at the plugs and check that the terminals are clean to start off with, then proceed to look at the sensor itself, should be 22mm spanner and yeah check for excessive soot buildup, if your aminent theres no problem and you know how to test o2 function i would go to holden or your mechanic/tuner with diagnostic equipment and get the codes cleared to see if it reoccurs, before replacement, past experiance ive found if the engine is running pig rich/or lean beyond its correction ability it will also trigger this error.
heres some very good release information on o2 sensors.
Bosch - Oxygen Sensors

hmm im positive my mid 05 wagon has fore and aft oxysensors, might have to have another look.

VZ05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Geez just had a look this morning trying to figure out how many my car had, it's a 11/05 model and it just looked like it had 2 of the 4 wire types and there in such a convienent location to get to, haha!

cold_carve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS 6sp Manual
lol yep its good fun, easy bit is with the spanner, i hate having to unclip those plugs first!