Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD2 fault scanner

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
From what i know about scanner's wich isent much, But i dont believe that one will work on the commodore's.

Even know it's OBD2, As far as im aware thats just the connector. It operates under a difffent protocol wich is ALDL i believe....

I could be wrong though

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have that exact scanner and I can tell you it does not read codes on commodores. It does however show some live data.

Promotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Commodore International Dual Fuel LPG / UL
The ebay one basically just gives the error codes, similar result to bridging terminal 5 and 6 on your obd2 port
you would then have to refer to a chart for what that error code means, you wouldnt have the ability to actually
treset or do anything much with that error code and more often than not getting the error codes isnt the be all and
end all, for example I had a faulty relay on my VX it was causing extremely hard starting when cold, the error codes given for this situation
where as follows

P1361 Electronic spark timing circuit shorted to voltage
P1372 Crankshaft position sensor no crankshaft pulse

there are also some others following the initial two error codes that refer to tranmission (these may be older codes as transmission isnt giving any probs)
P0740 Transmission Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction
P0756 Transmission Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off
P0757 Transmission Shift Solenoid B Stuck On
P0860 Gear Shift Module Communication Circuit Malfunction

In an ideal world the on board diagnostics would have said "faulty Engine Control Relay"
but instead it gave all of the above, were they a help diagnosing the problem? NO Not at all.

Out of desperation for a cost effective solution to our auto problems we look for a magic wand to solve our probs
often in the form of a cheap error code scanner so we dont have to trott along to holden and get ripped off. :)

This morning I went to a local auto sparky to get the airbag code reset on my VX (I replaced the clock spring yesterday).
He had a u beaut scanner ($6500 worth) It wasnt a tech 2 they are probably about double that.

The moral of the story is this what you can get off ebay for around $100 bucks is not a magic fix all wand that will solve your problems
if it was he would be sold out and we would all have them :)

If you do buy one put it through its paces and let us know how you went and what its capabilities are.

Kind regards Chris

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can buy a Tech 2 scanner for around $600 that will work on VT to VE commodore, and other holden cars, depending on the software card that you get.. Even though these are obviously the chinese cloned tech2 units, they work the same as the genuine ones. They can read and clear ECU, BCM, SRS and ABS codes, read and store live data, replay stored data, program new ignition keys, you can change different vehicle settings like turn on/off police mode, change speedo ratio settings, change how the vehicle locks/unlocks with the remote etc etc... I have one, it works excellent on the VY I have. Ive also programmed new ignition keys for VT and a VX with it. Yes, they are a bit expensive to buy still, but if a couple of mates throw in and get one between them, it can work out fairly cheap. Way better than paying a couple of hundred dollars for a scanner that can only read and clear codes.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You just gotta google tech 2 and theres plenty of links come up for cheap tech 2 kits from china. Find the cheapest one you can, and go with that. They can be found for around $600 -$700. Theyre all the same cloned tech2 units anyway, and some people want over $1000 or more for the exact same kit, so have a good look around first before buying.
Some sellers will sell the kit with the holden export card and not the proper aussie holden card. These export cards will only work on some aussie commodores (chevy lumina etc etc). Ive noticed lately though that some sellers are advertising a different holden card -HOLDEN English 139.000 1999-2012, Im not sure if this is the proper aussie software of not though, but its definitley different software to the export holden card.
I can also supply the proper tech 2 aussie holden card that does all aussie holden vehicles if the chinese supplier cant get you the proper aussie software, but because these cards that I get are brand new genuine Bosch tech 2 cards, they cost around $450 with the software loaded onto them..Theyre worth around $350 just to buy blank from bosch, so it works out that the aussie tech 2 software costs around $100. These genuine cards will work ok in the cloned tech2 units..

Last edited:

SID888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX1 5.7L Berlina Wagon A4
I have a 2000 5.7L Berlina wagon and my son has a 2006 Rodeo with the 3.6L motor. If we both chipped in and bought one of these tech 2 kits would it work on both cars?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have a 2000 5.7L Berlina wagon and my son has a 2006 Rodeo with the 3.6L motor. If we both chipped in and bought one of these tech 2 kits would it work on both cars?

Yes it would.

CommieKal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 SV6 Ute
Thanks for the info guys... And yes i'm just looking for something that will show me any fault codes so i can write them down and look them up in my manual.