Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Odd vibration around 80km/h

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
diff nugget? whats that? NAAF, i will give that a shot soon. wasnt sure if i could adjust it much or not

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think he means the pinion gear?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of an update. I put some different wheels on and the vibration is gone, or a lot smaller. Im guessing ive lost a wheel weight somewhere

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
update again. my previous post was wrong. the vibration was still there, just more noticable with bigger wheels i believe. i have just done the front end suspension. i added new struts, new tie rod ends, and got an alignment done. i have -1.4 camber on each wheel, and everything else matches up fine. the vibration is smaller, but still there. im running out of ideas.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i still think the centre bearing is shot. has anyone else jumped in it to have a listen?

JA2Z

Reaction score
Website
www.studiomarban.com
Members Ride
VT 5L, WH LS1 Stato (Daily), TDCi Focus, Probe V6
Stocky, check your disc rotors aren't worn unevenly.

Free spin your wheels when your car is jacked up and see if the unladen brake pressure is even for the full rotation of each wheel. if not that'll be where your harmonic vibration is coming from.

My mate (VN) had it, got his discs machined and a wheel alignment... and vua la! prob solved.

Hope that helps

Cheers

VZ SV6

2005 VZ SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 190kw & VZ Acclaim
I had a similar issue with the missus's VP, which had a shudder around the 80km/h mark. After a long drawn out and expensive exercise, it was the steering rack. What caused it was the struts were knackered, causing the wheels to bounce a lot more than normal. Over time, this caused damage to the steering rack, which worked fine up until you reached 80, and then when you turned slightly left or right, the shudder would start and continue until you lowered speeds. This also caused the wheels to warp in shape and numerous other issues which were costing more to fix than the value of the car. Hence the introduction of our new SV6 and the decommissioning of the old VP. It took 3 sets of mechanics and about $3000 to find this out. Not happy.