Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oh jeez i need help

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
oh its got a voltage gauge, its an SL/E! so i can see what its doing.

The lights still work right now and the voltage is steady, at the point when it turns on the voltage just drops a little bit, just a little but thats normal. When i try and start it the voltmeter just drops by a quarter and nothing happens. I was just outside trying all this then and i had the highbeams on, interior light, ignition, indicators, cig lighter powered LED lights and the air con on and there were no hassles. Then i tried to start it and nothin, not a sound (except for the LPG tank priming)

Tomorrow im going to clean all of the earth points cause they are corroded a bit. Also the battery terminals are quite shagged out but its enough to get a good reading on the voltmeter so i dunno.

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Alright, i have all of those wires in the steering column and i used a test light and they all work as they should, when i turn the key to start the starter motor wire lights up. And yea it was purple!

BUT!

I followed the wire from the starter motor and its green, which means its been changed somewhere. But the wire doesnt go towards the dashboard, it goes to a fuse at the right side of the engine bay. But there is this crude wire coming from it i am yet to follow...

Now, is this fuse neccisary? Is this just what the last owner put in place? I ask this because i just might run a new wire from the original purple wire in the steering column down to the starter solenoid.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Not sure about the fused wire, but yeah u can run a new wire from the ignition to the starter. Altho it will bypass ur neutral safety switch (unless u connect that to, which isn't really necessary).

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
thanks to u guys im getting really close. I have now found out that there is a short somewhere on the car. When i have the car in igniton and go to start everything turn off but turns on again when i take it off the start.

Now i just have to find tis fault, any ideas where it could be? BTW, thank you heaps for all the help so far!

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
When i have the car in igniton and go to start everything turn off but turns on again when i take it off the start.

That's what it's supposed to do :) (except a few certain items stay on).. - so that you get more cranking power!

I haven't read the thread in detail, but the things i'd be checking are: (and get yourself a repair manual, with wiring diagrams so you know where everything should be.

- make sure the ignition switch is working (test for connectivity between correct terminals with a multimeter and the switch in different positions)
- make sure there is no 'kill switch' installed :)
- make sure all the cables are hooked up right
- locate and verify the operation of the inhibitor switch (neutral/parm start switch)

maxpower QLD

has mild super powers
Reaction score
Members Ride
Xtrail/5spd VL
thanks to u guys im getting really close. I have now found out that there is a short somewhere on the car. When i have the car in igniton and go to start everything turn off but turns on again when i take it off the start.

Hi

I'm not tryin to be a know all or anything but have u look at the neutral switch thingo inside your shifter ?

i had this problem when i converted my farthers HZ ute to a manual . i removed the auto shifter and pulled the wires out not knowing that 2 of them had to be joined again for the the car to start .

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Hi

I'm not tryin to be a know all or anything but have u look at the neutral switch thingo inside your shifter ?

i had this problem when i converted my farthers HZ ute to a manual . i removed the auto shifter and pulled the wires out not knowing that 2 of them had to be joined again for the the car to start .

There are 2 wires joined together for the starter and thats the way ive left it, im sure that there is a short somewhere or that wire that it is joined to doesnt go anywhere :D

thanks man

matt_hayward

donations to my project?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl/e & vk
this may sound stupid, BUT, try replacing the wiper/indicator stalk. we had a problem with a vh a few years ago- lost lights then indicators only had high beam then lost that and car would not start. had me stumped so we towed it to auto electrician and he fixed it in 20 mins (he'd seen it all before) there only worth around $40-50 might be worth a go and could explain the sparks in the column

Paiste402

Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
its cool guys ive got the car running :D

it needed a relay for the starter motor. Also it wasnt a fuse it was connected to, it was a shagged out relay with 5 pins and only 3 being used. A new 4 pin relay (and some help from the guy in the auto store) and she fired up right away!

Thanks u guys, u really have helped me get this baby going! Man, 5.1 litres is LOUD! hahahaha

thanks again!