Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change gone wrong

T0BZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina, vn ss
They work pretty good sucking oil out of forklift motors can't see a v6 commodore being any different ay

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
You cant use a pump to change the oil. What you need to do it STOP touching your car. Throw away your tools because you don't know how to use them. And get a mobile mechanic or tow it to a mechanic on Monday. In future pay a mechanic to service your car.

lighten up. I have seen mechanics that have been in the trade for over 25 years break things from time to time.

At least its just a sump plug, worst case scenario the motor poos itself. If he was working on brakes and suspension I would be a little more concerned whether he was qualified to do the job or not.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
This thread brings the lol's. Sik dose is on the money though.

I would suggest welding a nut onto the sump plug if stilsons don't work but if you can't use a spanner then you'd best pet someone else tackle that job too.

Forget the oil extraction pump right now.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
One stupid questions here! Of all the sump plug I have came across in the past, they are turn anti-clockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten. Commodores are the same right??? This is the first commodore I worked on... I hope its not because I didn't turn the right direction that caused me to strip the bolt!

Its righty tighty, lefty loosey most of the time with threads (except bbq gas fittings and a few others)

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Vice grips would work to get it undone if you get good leverage on it I have no doubt of that, and come on you don`t have a welder do you? Im swinging towards NO.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
My son's VT did the same thing, ended up
tack welding an old
spanner to the sump bolt.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
Everybody gettin mad up in here. Just use vice grips. I did.

When I went to do the first oil change on my new VT the mech working on it before me had used a rattle gun, every tool slipped. Vice grips and a hammer had it off, quick sticks. Note: You will need a new drain bolt and washer by doing this

vx_commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 'S
Or get a socket that is 1 size smaller than the stripped nut. Ie, If it originaly was 19mm then use 18mm.

Then wack it on with a hammer, Good tight fit

Get's the job done.

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V6 Commodore Lumina
Hi all,

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions. Nightmar is finally over.

Went and bought a small pipe wrench and a vice grip trying for luck, unfortunately either of them did any good. In the end, the stripped bolt became a complete round bolt.....lol. I ran out of DIY options with available tool. So I had the car towed to a mechanic and removed the plug by welding a steel bar onto it. Finally, the problem is solved! :spot on: But he told me he never came across a sump plug that was as tight as this one. He almost bend the steel bar while trying to undo the bolt.

After I came home and found a service receipt from local Beaurepairs in the glove box, looked like the last service was done by them.. pricks! Gonna drive down there and tell them off.... lol Just kidding.. ain't worth it! But one thing for sure is that I will never go to them for tyres or wheel alignments! Who knows they might tight my wheel nuts so tight that I can't even undo the nut if I get a flat.

This service pretty much ruined my weekend, did nothing but working on this car! Will I do this again.... hell yeah! Although things went wrong and quiet stressful, but I still had fun and learnt new things!

Thanks again for all your support!

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Cant be any more honest. Its an oil change and bolts only round if your using cheap tools or the incorrect size.

OK Then I can't be any more honest with you... You're an Idiot.... Cheap tools don't cause bolts to be rounded. Incorrect use, size or tool is what causes bolts to be rounded. You can have the most expensive tools in the world, use them the wrong way and you are still going to end up with the same result. Bolt was clearly done up way over its specified torque setting, probably with a rattle gun by an Apprentice. Get off your high horse, I'm sure you have screwed up something simple in your life.