Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change gone wrong

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V6 Commodore Lumina
Thanks for the tip, will pop down to super cheap tomorrow and get a pair. If this doesn't work I will have to have the car towed to a mechanic... damn it.. I have done countless oil changes and this is the first time it happened! I will make sure I get under the car first before I put the flush in next time! #### me...
well stillsions are also know as pipe wrench so they are perfect for round things

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
On the engine flush bottle it say not to drive the car with the flush in the engine, my question is have done the unthinkable here?!!! or is a little low speed driving okay?? Or may I should arrange to have the car towed tomorrow? The car only have 60,000kms on it.

Some advices will be much appreciated!!!

I don't think you've done too much damage. Time will tell. Don't drive it any more though whatever you do.

I'd just get the plug out and drain it without worrying about running the motor any more to warm the oil when you do.
New oil and filter and then do your next oil change extra early.

Driving those 20klm will have really given it a decent flushing though.:p

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
One stupid questions here! Of all the sump plug I have came across in the past, they are turn anti-clockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten. Commodores are the same right??? This is the first commodore I worked on... I hope its not because I didn't turn the right direction that caused me to strip the bolt!

I think you might find that Stilsons have a 'squeeze' action, like pliers, otherwise they are very similar. The pic above is a pipe wrench and I did the same once on my VT and the pipe wrench solved it. Have only done my own oil changes since and never had the problem since.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
It was 4:30pm when this happened and I thought I run the car down to a mechanic so I drove the car down there (approx 20Km return) but they were closed by the time I got there. I will have to take it back again tomorrow.

Don't know too many mechanics open on Weekends. Saturday mornings possibly but I think the reason he was shut is it is the weekend. Don't even bother trying on a Sunday.

When this happened to my VT I hammered a chisel into the side of the rounded bolt and then was able to wrench it off with the chisel.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Just a little note if you don't want untold problems down the track don't use oil flushes.

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know a mechanic that works 7 days, but he's 15kms away....

Don't know too many mechanics open on Weekends. Saturday mornings possibly but I think the reason he was shut is it is the weekend. Don't even bother trying on a Sunday.

When this happened to my VT I hammered a chisel into the side of the rounded bolt and then was able to wrench it off with the chisel.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
One stupid questions here! Of all the sump plug I have came across in the past, they are turn anti-clockwise to undo and clockwise to tighten. Commodores are the same right??? This is the first commodore I worked on... I hope its not because I didn't turn the right direction that caused me to strip the bolt!

Yes. Anti-clockwise to loosen.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you get your new plug, I'd suggest you buy a 19mm six faced socket to use next time.
They don't seem to wreck the head of the bolt like the 12 pointed type do.

800px-Socket_wrench_and_sockets.JPG