Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil cooler

VNCommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
just got a oil cooler of my mate for the vn. (transmission) does anyone know anything about them and how to fit them.

C

carzee

I've got one there, factory. I think Vacationer pack may have them too since they were aimed at caravaners. How to should be in the manual or maybe a dealer instruction sheet.

VNCommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
i read abit more on them aperently there supposed to keep ya transmission life longer and are used for towing but are benifitial to hav in all ways. also the shifts will be alot harder and better. i located two pipes runnign of the tranmission onto the back of the radiator and appernenty u diconnect them and send them threw this new cooler. is this correct and what to i do with the original cooler. im not sure how it works exactly fluid passes threw it and cools it but how

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Leave the original cooler in line just add your new system, mount it in front of your radiator and connect the pipes in your exsisting in out line, that is the way my son's one was done from memory, he has since sold his vn and upgraded to a vt so I cant check, but from memory it is a very simple excorsise.
regards Kirk

vnbelina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
so are there any disadvantages. i just had a look at my car and yeah pipes run into the back of the radiator. so im guessing is already does get cooled it a better idea to upgrade

VNCommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
anymore feedback or suggestions

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
carzee said:
I've got one there, factory. I think Vacationer pack may have them too since they were aimed at caravaners. How to should be in the manual or maybe a dealer instruction sheet.

In the VN era the Vacationer did not come with any tranny cooler (option) until VT commodores came standard as I have recently fitted one to the car (genuine).

The genuine tranny cooler kit would have all the brackets, screw, hoses and clamps and comes with a step by step manual.
It would take about <1-2hours to install the only thing is required is to remove the grill and bend one bracket slightly to fit behind the bumper with out rubbing (if you want to mount in the factory location). You can mount the cooler in the middle but I found it does not have the factory look.

I got told there are two types at holden. I bought the Series 2 model as it suits the vn-vr/vs.

I can post picture to show what it looks like?
Cheers

VNCommo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 3.8
that would be good

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
just connect rubber hose from the in to the out on the radiator fully bypassing it then mount your cooler on the front of your radiator just make a couple of brackets and fit your cooler and hosing new clamps all round wont hurt either