Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil filter Adaptor cap removal

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
lol yea we tried to remove it from impulsives car on the weekend. no way its comming off ever haha. i didnt think something could ever be that tight. even the mechanic couldnt get it off!

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
had the same prob. first oil change on after i got my car i had to use a sidchrome bar and socket + a length of water pipe about 1.8m long over the end of the bar + 2 people trying to crack the prick. i suceeded. lol. now i dont have a torque wrench but have been able to do it up so that it doesnt leak while still being able to remove it again with just one hand on the socket every time since. dont people understand that its not holding up the harbour bridge and only needs to be nipped up?

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
Mine took 2 people, a metre of pipe on the end of a 200mm breaker bar and sum skined knuckles but we got it

FnomnaVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ Berlina
I swear some of them are tightened up with rattle guns!

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Its just the aluminium. When the engine heats up and cools down that many times, the threads lock together. Thats why it stresses in manuals and on the cap to only tighten it to 25nm. Taxis never have that problem because they're always at running temperature.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Is there some sort of anti seize compound that can be applied to the threads? Loctite make about 4 differnet types.