Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Filters - UTG video, lets discuss (filtration&bypass flow)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A good Automotive video that should put the cat amongst the pigeons!
Read the comments after, the truth is to be found there (pressure differential)

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I really don't like the trend where OEM manufacturers fit smaller and smaller filters on engines. Remember the huge oil filters the old 202 and 308's had? and look at the filters a modern LS motor has...

Other options for better quality/re-usable filters are

I have a billet filter to suit the V6 motors but I can't remember what the brand is.

Other great options are bypass filtration systems.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Found a picture of the billet oil filter I have for the V6 motors.

iu

I do remember I bought it out of Aussie and I think it was from a motorcycle outfit.

Found it,

The FAQ is a good read, especially the bit about oil flow rates and particle filtration size.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
That video just confused me.
He referenced various PSI figures , which to me indicated that an LS1 would never have the bypass closed, so the filter is doing SFA filtering anytime.
The cartridge filter on an Alloytec with the seals at both ends must be a thing of wonder, as there is no bypass spring . Am I correct there ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I believe UTG is not entirely correct in his thinking of how pressure works.

the spring at the bottom of the filter canister pushes the filter element against the top ring, when oil enters the filter and pressurises the filter canister that pressure acts in all directions against the filter case as well as the filter element.

UTG sees that the oil enters the top of the filter and pushes down on the filter element against the spring at the bottom but forgets that the same amount of pressure is also exerted on the bottom of the filter element in an upward direction. This means the only place the oil can flow is through the filter element back into the engine.

Where it gets interesting is how much oil the filter element can flow and how much of a pressure drop happens across that filter element. All engine oil systems will have a bypass somewhere in the system so that if the filter element becomes blocked the engine will still get oil. Most engines these days will use a oil filter that has a build in bypass in the bottom of the oil filter element, many engines also have an internal bypass.

That video just confused me.
He referenced various PSI figures , which to me indicated that an LS1 would never have the bypass closed, so the filter is doing SFA filtering anytime.
The cartridge filter on an Alloytec with the seals at both ends must be a thing of wonder, as there is no bypass spring . Am I correct there ?

I have no doubt your engine will have a bypass somewhere.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yeah, he's not quite on the money there. As you alluded it's not a bypass valve it's a pressure differential valve and the filter does a lot more filtering than he's suggesting. Sure it doesn't all go through at once but eventually the whole sump gets filtered. As we might expect lubrication is the priority and filtration comes second. It's a game of compromise and balance

Older filtration systems were better because engines were simpler and more tolerant. There were no OHC with variable valves, hydraulic tensioner systems and complex pcv fully dependent on a strong, consistent oiling system