Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Leak

M

mikemutlow

I just got my car back from Holden having paid them a small (well large actually) fortune for a service including an injector clean ($95) and throttle body clean ($86). Apparantly they don't even take the injectors out; they just disconnect the fuel line run some fluid through the injectors. I can't imagine that this is very effective.
Anyway trhe bad news is they advise that the rear crank/ sump oil seal is leaking and this will need the tranny to be removed in order to fix it; they must want to charge a lot for this as they didn't want to quote for it there and then! Does anyone know if there is an anternative fix for this or what the real cost should be?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
No there isn't an easy fix, the tanny has to come out to replace the seal. When I had a leak in the rear seal in an older commodore I kept the oil level a little bit lower and that helped a lot. Also change the oil more often.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
No the injector clean service is just a sellup that the dealership uses to make more money from the customer, the same as the throttle body clean. Injectors should always be removed from the car for proper cleaning and flow testing. Unless you actually have problems it is just giving money away to the dealership. In relation to your rear main question you should at least expect to pay for 5hrs for the job to be done as a special tool is required to align the rear main housing with the crank. Be very careful I've had a lot of rocker cover gaskets leaking and causing a similar oil leak to a rear main seal especially on the drivers side and running down under the car around the sump cover.