Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Overfill - VX V6

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V6 Commodore Lumina
Hi,

I know there have been thread about this common issue, however I didn't find the answers I was looking for.

I recently noticed that the last mechanic who serviced my 2001 VXII V6 Commodore had overfill my car with engine oil. When I checked the dipstick while the vehicle is cold and on level ground, the oil level is approximately 2-3 cm above the full mark. It look like I have been driven like this for a little over 5000kms, but have not noticed any problems with the engine or any abnormal engine sound.

I then rang and complained this to the mechanic who serviced my car last, and he said 2-3 cm is about 0.5 liter of oil and wouldn't hurt a thing. I then checked my usual manual and it said the refill capacity on these V6 engines is approximately 4.8 litres and I clearly remember that the oil I supplied to the mechanic was 5L exactly and he left a very empty bottle in my car after he was done with it. So my guess would be that he put the entire 5 litres in there...

I have bought new oil and filter and planning on have it changed in the next day or two. I guess my question is that have I done much of engine damage over the 5000kms? Frankly I am a little pissed off with this ####uit who overfilled my car, but I don't have any proof that my engine suffered damaged as result of his actions. It seem to be running quite normal as far as I can see and feel.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank you in advance.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
That small amount isn't going to hurt it.
Worse case the crank has been swimming in oil and maybe ever so slightly effecting the fuel economy..... that's about it

Hypothetically if an engine is leaking oil and the customer is a tightarse who won't pay to fix it (and doesn't know what the dipstick is for) then some mechanics will overfill slightly as a preventative measure if the level was below add before it was drained, that's about the only scenario i can think of as to why.

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
As above, no damage what so ever. Engine will still be in tip top shape.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Usually when you check the oil level when cold it will read a bit higher as all the oil in the overhead gear will drain back into the sump overnight. I check mine cold after seating overnight and it always reads a bit high on the dip stick, if you actually read the Holden handbook it says to check the level whilst hot as in waiting a few minutes after turn off, ie: whilst filling with fuel, if you check the level then you will probably find it pretty close to the mark.

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Drewie,

Thanks for sharing your thought.

I have checked the oil levels both hot and cold, and the readings are still over on top of the full mark. However, you are correct with what you saying as when I checked it hot the level would reduce slightly by approximately 0.5 -1.0cm off the mark when it is checked cold.

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Jxw,

Thank you for sharing your thought on this.

The one thing I feared is that the crank has been swimming in the oil and causing the oil to foam up. Apparently this effect can cause impaired lubrication to the engine which will lead to engine damage.

Hopefully it is as per your post above that the overage is only a small amount and isn't going to hurt...

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Yeah as most of the previous posts say, it shouldn't be much of an issue really. It all comes down to the design of the motor...some actually do better if they're slightly overfilled by exactly the amount yours is at the moment.
Yours is a late model Ecotec but in my VR I can actually notice when it gets to between the add and full mark and its time to top her up by the fact the engine sounds a little different than usual. So i conclude that Buick/Ecotecs like to be kept at least at the full mark always.
Whats bad is when you add in a litre or more over. Then the crank will slosh around in oil and foam it which is bad. If you dont see foamed oil on your dipstick after driving then its ok.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
As above, it's excessive amounts over that'll be a problem.
With 250-500ml, the crank should just sling that around the engine and not be constantly swimming in it.
The olde gm v6 is fairly bullet proof.

D

devilly

such and easy job for a mechanic to do,i would think if it was a good business you would just go back and they would remove some from the sum bolt.

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
The fill capacity on a V6 is 4.8 ltrs.
Oil typically comes in 5 ltr bottles.
I always just dump the whole bottle in.
Depending on how much drained out during the oil change, the dipsitck will immediately read 1-3 cm over full, its no problem.