Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 oil pressure problem?? Help please

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi all,

Installed 355", ran in cam for 20min on run in oil, 4days later I drove up & down the road for 10 min. The next day I changed oil & filter.
Today I fired it up for 10seconds, but the oil pressure light will not go out, so I shut it down.

Could I have an air lock, or did I not run it for long enough?
JP Standard vol oil pump -flowed.
half filled filter and Filled sump with 15w-40 Valvoline Mineral oil (ran last block on 15w-60 penrite)

Thoughts please,

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
oil bit light 20w 50 is what u should use , but your oil pump maybe the culprit , or maybe ya sender on ya oil switch.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
the pressure spring inside the pump clean/lubed/working properley?

edit * havnt cut the wire by accident?

It was lubed/cleaned properly when first assembled (which there has only been ~30min running since)

Oil pressure was present before oil change, slightly lacking now (as dummy light is on) Haven't been anywhere near risking wire snipping

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I to would think that a 15w-40 is a bit light for a Holden depending on the bearing clearances.

I recommend an actual pressure gauge to see what is going on.

The run is to bed in the lifters and shouldn't really effect the oil pressure. Did you check the bearing clearances on that 355 short you got?

Did you fire it up after the oil change or has it sat for a day? If it's sat it may be an airlock in the pump. Prime it through the oil pressure sender hole.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I to would think that a 15w-40 is a bit light for a Holden depending on the bearing clearances.

I recommend an actual pressure gauge to see what is going on.

The run is to bed in the lifters and shouldn't really effect the oil pressure. Did you check the bearing clearances on that 355 short you got?

Did you fire it up after the oil change or has it sat for a day? If it's sat it may be an airlock in the pump. Prime it through the oil pressure sender hole.

Nah, never checked the clearance's.

had to shoot out straight after change, so unfortunately I let it sit for 2days before firing it up.
I was just thinking and planning on priming it through sender hole, PITA to do though. :(

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
loosen oil filter, crank over the engine but do not start. (priming oil pump)
if unsuccessful buy new oil pump and redo priming oil pump.

PS it take around 15 minutes to change an oil pump on a 304/308..

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
ok, now I have it set up for priming through sender hole, but I have no spare oil to use (unless I drain a little from the sump)
I will buy a 1ltr tomorrow and see what I can achieve with priming it through the sender hole.

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
My apology's for butting in but why on earth would you use running in oil they stopped doing that 20 yrs. ago.... just go to coles or wollies and get their cheap and nasty oil its friction modified free which is what you need.......also best advice from experience DONT use Valvoline oil it rots the seals and destroys motors and as Immortality suggests use a proper gauge not the idiot light