Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil problem

kezer

VS Stato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
I've just rebuilt an ecotec and its not getting oil to the top end anyone know what might be wrong? Only mods were cam, balance shaft removal and rear oil hole for shaft plugged.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
It will take a while for the oil to get to the top. It always has when I put motors in my cars that haven't been running for a while. Just put a little bit down the spark plug holes and maybe pull out your fuel relay and turn it over for a bit to get the oil around.

If you have ran it for a fair while and the lifters still have no oil then your not getting oil pressure. You'll have to pull off the timing cover and check the oil pump. Might be no good

I should add too if your are worried it may be best to check the oil pump before you let it run.

kezer

VS Stato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
I've run it in and still no oil but I don't get a oil pressure light? Everything is brand new even the oil pump. I didn't bleed the lifters could that be a problem?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
No that won't be the problem. Did you fit the oil pump dry? If you did it won't suck the oil up from the sump. Did you remove the pickup? If the system isn't sealed it can suck air. What makes you think it doesn't have pressure?

kezer

VS Stato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
I lubed up the pump with oil before assembling, pick up was removed and cleaned. There's no trace of oil in the rockers, but there is oil in the oil gallery that feed the lifters.

kezer

VS Stato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
Quick update connected a pressure gauge and shows about 20psi

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe removing the balance shaft has caused the oil to flood into the balance shaft area and does not have enough pressure left to reach to top end?
Do you need to block the balance shaft oil supply when you remove it?
If you unscrew the oil filter is it full of oil?

kezer

VS Stato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman S3
The oil feed for the balance shaft is blocked which is all you need to do when removing it and the filter has oil in it.