Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pump or lifters??

dj_eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
Hey All,

been getting some crazy tappet noises happening when the engine is cold, and as each day passes, its taking longer and longer for the noise to go away.

i just did an oil and oil filter change incase it was the filter causing issues, but its the same.

so i thought i would open the oil cap to see whats going on while the tapping and noticed that there was no oil around the tappets etc.

im thinking its either the oil pump not working properly, but when i start the car, the oil light doesnt stay illuminated.

if it IS the oil pump, should the oil light stay on? is that what indicates an oil pump issue?

could it be something up top preventing the oil from moving up?? hydrolic lifers??

Cheers

99VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 vz sv6
has been about 3 threads like this in the past two weeks.

Either tappets or lifters, both are expensive to fix.

I had the same issue with my 99 VT, used a lighter synthetic oil and have had no issue since. (been about a week and a half) Think a lot of other people tried that with no success though.

dj_eddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
So far im not getting tappet noises anymore.

I used an engine flush and had to run it in idle for 20min before the noise disappeared (saturday morning) and i left it in the system until Monday morning, drove all over the place and not one tap, in fact sitting at the lights, it was so that smooth that i thought the car wasn't even running. I replaced the oil and filter on Monday morning and all is good so far.(fingers crossed)

Seems like i had a blocked somewhere, oil pickup perhaps?? who knows.

topdzl

Reaction score
Website
www.aghaith.com
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7
I have vt 5.7 and I have the same problem, tried to flush it as the official dealer recommended and it didn't fix it, then they told me that I need to replace the oil pump. Since I will replace it and the original oil pump has faults I thought to get something different, unfortunately I was trying to get some info on a better oil pump here but no has replied, but I looked around and found melling, they have oil pumps for LS1 engines, some are high volume oil pumps. and now I just need to know which one one would be the right one for me.
hope that info helped.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Lifters for the LS1 and ecotecs are the same.

Try lifter free up with fresh oil as a starting point and if that fails to fix the issue you will need more desperate measures.

BTW, how many kms on the car, what oil are you running and is the car on petrol only or LPG as well?

SSINZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Maloo. 6 Speed. OTR. Tune. Some other bitz
Yeah my Gen3 is a bit noisy like this? lifters!!? it sux a bit when your cars dun up and you do want ppl to look. a loud stereo and a loud exh usually fixes this when ppl look ahha.. anywho i quietend mine down quite a lot by using a good oil and mixing 1ltr of Lucas oil stabilizer in it.. still a lil noisy now and then but you get that,.. cant fix everything hey.

Outta interest whats the cost of lifters supplyed and fitted?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Yeah my Gen3 is a bit noisy like this? lifters!!? it sux a bit when your cars dun up and you do want ppl to look. a loud stereo and a loud exh usually fixes this when ppl look ahha.. anywho i quietend mine down quite a lot by using a good oil and mixing 1ltr of Lucas oil stabilizer in it.. still a lil noisy now and then but you get that,.. cant fix everything hey.

Outta interest whats the cost of lifters supplyed and fitted?

Try 20-60w full synthetic oil. Works for most with the gennas