Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 OIL PUMP: Petroleum Jelly Vs Moly Lube

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I always use petroleum Jelly aka mobil waxrex you can buy 2.5kg & 5kg & 20kg drums, once motor is fully warmed up, hot and running for a bit, we drop it out of the sump and refill with new mineral oil.

I use the same when I rebuild a gearbox to hole needle rollers in place and after first drive drop the oil and refill.

Scott

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
Use parrafin wax. It's the base for vase but with no water in it. Recomended by my chemist when I did mine. (He uses it in his manual gearbox also).

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Ok Guys (and gals)

I have just finished smoothing some ridges inside my Oil pump, and now it is time to bolt it back together.
Should I pack it with Moly Lube or Petroleum Jelly? I have read in different places for both to be used, but am wondering what peoples preferences are and why (if they have used both)

oh and also; I have one set of Genuine gaskets, and one set of Permaseal gaskets. I already have a preference, but what do you all think? (maybe I should add photo's)

pardon.. but why in hell would you want to pack something in that can 'hydraulic' the pump?

if you are having oil pressure start up problems... bleed the pump of air and fill it with oil (thru the sender hole) when on the engine
I do this with a new engine.. or new pump on my race engines and I have instant oil pressure when i start the engine
Filling the filter before screwing it on also helps...

and gaskets? .. Permaseal are good but genuine are better (but are now getting hard to get so I bought a box of 12 recently)

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
pardon.. but why in hell would you want to pack something in that can 'hydraulic' the pump?

Arrh, To prime it.
I thought it was quite clear why people, including myself, have used Vaseline to Hydraulically prime a dry system.
Maybe you are thinking there is a head in the system that would cause hydraulic lock but a standard engine pressure lubrication system is open to the atmosphere, if it wasn't it would blow out your rocker cover, valley and sump gaskets.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've always used Vaso (in the oil pump too ;) )
and never had an issue. Instant pressure, no overpressure. It's a method that has been used for many years, never heard of any problems with it.
I really don't think you could go wrong either way

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The ultimate way is to pressure prime the system just before start up, but I don't have the gear for that so I too have used the vaso successfully :)

I do always pre-fill the oil filter as well, even for a simple oil change.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Since original post I have used both. Vaso is preference though.

I found that priming through sender hole (turning engine over by hand periodically) with a new grease gun didn't seem to do anything to help start up pressure.

Always fill any oil filter with as much oil as possible before fitting!!

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Since original post I have used both. Vaso is preference though.

I found that priming through sender hole (turning engine over by hand periodically) with a new grease gun didn't seem to do anything to help start up pressure.

Always fill any oil filter with as much oil as possible before fitting!!
ive experimented with moly lube recently but mainly vaso in past years....I found moly lube makes your fresh oil go black really quick