Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oils

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Clacker said:
So is that oil suitable for high km engines?

Clacks

**** yeah..

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i used magnetec for nearly a year then i developed the noisy lifters :( magnetec was better on fuel, but ive switch to plain old castrol gtx 3, no noises, happy with it.

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
i've heard that magnatec is the best for your engine... i just serviced my car on the weekend with that stuff and it goes like a dream now... you can actually notice that there's less friction and less engine noise (NVH ratio is down). it's about $33 for 5L but it's worth every cent.

M

matty193

Go the Penrite HPR 15W60....semi-synthetic and runs very well

3800VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX V6
magnetec clogs ur engine. use Penrite or Mobil 1. i have seen so many engines cloged with old oil, one cases i came across you couldnt see the cam it was that cloged ( this was an ea)

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Clacker, my V6 engine has 250,000+ kms on it so it's rather second hand, and having tried more than half a doz different brands and grades of oil all in a short time searching for an advantage, the Nulon wins hands down, it's also cheaper too, "also 100% Aussie made".

The other Nulon products are nothing short of brilliant, especially the manual gearbox treatment, fixed my 5 speed landcruiser box "normally like a crash truck box" made most bearing noise go, and all syncros that once needed a double shuffle in 1st, 2nd and 3rd (box was rebuilt tight) now worked perfectly with a very smooth (car type) gear change, great stuff !

There may be other oils near as good, but all round the Nulon shows a definite result in starting and engine speed so the claims would seem to be true, Magnatek ? I would not use in my lawn mower.

The full synth Mobil 1 street / racing oils are also pretty good but a tad $exe, they come in grades from 0/40 10/40 and 15/50, and others from memory, Skaife uses one of em in his V8 Supercar ? remember the GM factory will use Mobil S at a service.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Sounds good, a bottle of Nulon synthetic on next oil change it is.

Thanks guys
Clacks

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
magnatec is crap, sorry fellas but you fell for the BS sales pitch, no mechanic would bother using it unless the owner demanded it, BTW most GMH depots use Mobil S in their eco services.???

dude several mechanics i know of all recommend magnatec n GMH where my sister used to get her astra serviced use Magnatec aswell

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
lol but saying that i throw my money away with a bottle of mobil

VRAddiction

its never fast enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Manual Ute
at the end of the day it comes down to preferance.....i know that magnetec is one of the shittest oil's going around!!! as i am i mechanic you go thought this soooo many times.....my car uses castrol gtx2 and it loves it no problems.....Full sythetic oil is too thin for v6 commodores, stick with Semi-Sythetic!! hope i have been usefull somehow