Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Online File Sharing & Piracy

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
A song on itunes costs anything up to US$1.29. Hardly an insane amount now is it???

$1.29 x 1449 = US$~1800, it all adds up :) My friend has over 30,000 songs: 30,000 x $1.29 = US$38,700.

You tell me how that isn't an insane amount.

If the artist decides to put their work into the public domain for free distribution then good luck to them. No problem with that at all - some of the worlds most popular software is free. It's very likely the browser you are using right now is one such product. It isn't piracy though.

I stated that they support piracy, not support distributing their products for free. There is a remarkably big difference between the two.

If you don't think the price is fair then don't buy it. Imagine going to a BMW dealership, telling them that you don't think the price of a M5 is fair but your taking it anyway. Lol - let me know how you go with that one :)

I don't buy it, that's the whole argument against piracy.. Lovely car, wouldn't have an issue with paying the price. :)

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
$1.29 x 1449 = US$~1800, it all adds up :) My friend has over 30,000 songs: 30,000 x $1.29 = US$38,700.

You tell me how that isn't an insane amount.

It's a stupid amount of money to spend on music.

But your example is flawed. Your "friend" almost certainly wouldn't have anywhere near 30,000 songs if they had to be paid for. It's not lost revenue for the record companies if it's not money that wouldn't be spent even if copies weren't available for free online!

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Put it this way. I don't pay for the radio, does this mean we're all pirates when we listen to songs off the radio? I never paid for it, so listening to it for free is clearly stealing, right?

If this has been said before, sorry, I haven't looked back at the other pages in detail yet.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
It's a stupid amount of money to spend on music.

But your example is flawed. Your "friend" almost certainly wouldn't have anywhere near 30,000 songs if they had to be paid for. It's not lost revenue for the record companies if it's not money that wouldn't be spent even if copies weren't available for free online!

You're right, and I have already said this :)

They complain about losing all of this money, but in reality large majority of people wouldn't pay for it anyway, it's just potential profit figures that they flaunt.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Has anyone mentioned that some of these file sharing sites support free and legal files? I won't DL large game patches unless i do so through a bittorrent site. The amount of times i've had drop outs and lost a half Gig of DL when direct DL'ing is amazing.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
The amount of times i've had drop outs and lost a half Gig of DL when direct DL'ing is amazing.

So? Both Firefox and Chrome manage downloads and pick up from where they left off. There's also numerous download managers to choose from.

But I do think Torrents are the most convenient.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I like using Torrents, for legal and not-so-legal downloads due to the fact that they have the potential for really high speeds, whereas if 500 of us downloaded the smae patch from, say, Dice's website, it would time out or drop out, whereas with Torrents as long as heaps of people seed them, heaps of people can download them with little issues and high speeds.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Put it this way. I don't pay for the radio, does this mean we're all pirates when we listen to songs off the radio? I never paid for it, so listening to it for free is clearly stealing, right?

If this has been said before, sorry, I haven't looked back at the other pages in detail yet.

Radio stations pay for the rights to broadcast the music, this is paid for through advertising.

People have really come up with some silly posts in this thread.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Radio stations pay for the rights to broadcast the music, this is paid for through advertising.

Old school pirating, recording songs off the radio onto your cassette!

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride

But that's nothing compared to the silliness the music, film and TV industries have come up with in relation to the topic of this thread.