Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OOOH No My Tire Went Bang on the "Q"

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Rubber perishes over time. I've read and heard from tyre shops that you shouldn't really use tyres over 6-8 years old regardless.
I think I will have trouble getting ANYTHING in 245/60R15 in GoodYear. Once again I dont Drive the car outside my gates.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The 4 tyres come from the USA as you know. I expect to pay up $250 for one tyre so $500 for both. Lately I have been spending $$$$$ in the last 6 months, Told the Wife I need to stop spending, never ends.
Stupid me I have got some wooden blocks from Bunnings just for this and they are still sitting the other garage. The Diff is 12 Bolt and has Summer Bros Axils with Floating bearing where the Wheel is and the axil is held there via C Clips in the posi track centre and YES I was told to take the weight off the car if sitting for a long time it. (eg") Damage the bearings.
I want to get Goodyear tyres and if they are similar to the Originals I would be happy but not necessary. Any Suggestions on Good year, Remember I dont drive the car outside the front gate, all I do is wake the neighbour around midday with the thumping exhaust.

Buy which ever tyres you like, considering the car doesn't go very far.

Antique tyres are a big supplier of OE style tyres for older cars......Just forwarning to expect to pay through the nose for them should you go that route....

As for the wood...I'd be putting the car up on blocks to help prevent flat spots on the tyres....As soon as the car moves, you'd feel it through the steering wheel and the backside...

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Buy which ever tyres you like, considering the car doesn't go very far.

Antique tyres are a big supplier of OE style tyres for older cars......Just forwarning to expect to pay through the nose for them should you go that route....

As for the wood...I'd be putting the car up on blocks to help prevent flat spots on the tyres....As soon as the car moves, you'd feel it through the steering wheel and the backside...
It looks like I wont be able to get anything in 15 inch rims that are anywhere in the 245 range as the Centreline (rims) are 7 inch wide.. Help!!!! to scared to look at prices for Antique tyres

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It looks like I wont be able to get anything in 15 inch rims that are anywhere in the 245 range as the Centreline (rims) are 7 inch wide.. Help!!!! to scared to look at prices for Antique tyres

Kenda, Mickey Thompson, BF Goodrich, Nankang are just a few that do a 245/60X15.....That's in the modern tyres

So they are around....But if you want OE style, pay through the nose for them

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found one.
IN Ozzytyres

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kenda, Mickey Thompson, BF Goodrich, Nankang are just a few that do a 245/60X15.....That's in the modern tyres

So they are around....But if you want OE style, pay through the nose for them
No doubt this is your field because I know truck all about this. All I know the Monro front tyres are P245/60R15.../. So they classify my tyre's in modern tyres

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No doubt this is your field because I know truck all about this. All I know the Monro front tyres are P245/60R15.../. So they classify my tyre's in modern tyres

Modern as in radials....The Monaro came out with crossplies, which is something Antique tyres supply....

The brands I posted are uptodate with current technology and are also more readily available, so price will be cheaper

I'd also recommend buying radial tyres

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I googled "where to buy 245/60r15 tyres" and I got a range of NO name tyres. Remember all I know is Goodyear, Continental, and Pirelli tyres and thats it but IN the US I saw Parnelly Jones something like this.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I googled "where to buy 245/60r15 tyres" and I got a range of NO name tyres. Remember all I know is Goodyear, Continental, and Pirelli tyres and thats it but IN the US I saw Parnelly Jones something like this.

BF Goodrich have been around longer than your Monaro...US made tyre

Mickey Thompson another one been around for decades and another US brand

Nankang...Been around for a fair while now...Not sure where they're made, but can find out

Kenda...Another that's been around for a bit.....They actually make a tyre specifically for the HQ race car series.....

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modern as in radials....The Monaro came out with crossplies, which is something Antique tyres supply....

The brands I posted are uptodate with current technology and are also more readily available, so price will be cheaper

I'd also recommend buying radial tyres
Anyhow Thank you for you help, Have to go out soon and will do lots more research tomorrow afternoon. I will tell The Monaro Do panic because Member VC Commodore is Helping me because I told the Monaro NO TYRE's ARE AVAILABLE and both of us nearly cried.
Tomorrow is another day.
By the Way the Front Centerline wheels has not bee taken off for 20 odd years. Shi.t the wheel studs will break off. Luckly they were not tighten to much plus I remember using some sort of anti seize (The Wife Remembered)

Reactions: Lex