Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opening up the VX airbox

Oz82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Just wondering if anyone has tried removing the front of the lower half of the V6 airbox while leaving the back and sides to facilitate better airflow and effectively making it a cai? Would this work effectively and what would be the downside of doing such a mod?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You still restricted by the throttle body size and tubing to that.

Unless you support it with extractors and exhaust and MACE, not really worth it.

Oz82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
The car has a 2.5 inch Redback system with extractors on the way... I was thinking along the lines of the MACE CAI. Am I right in assuming the front of theirs is completely open with the back and sides shielded from the engine?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS UTE (BOGAN EDITION)
You really don't get much of a change from the cai to the standard box unless you are going otr with a mafless tune. The standard airbox is pretty good all iv seen done is get a small hole saw and cut a few small holes on the front and fender side to let a bit more air come in. I'v heard that moving your air temp sender closer to the throttle body gives you a bit more but iv never seen it dyno'd. hope this helps mate

Corey 'Fishman'

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore S. 2001
Just wondering if anyone has tried removing the front of the lower half of the V6 airbox while leaving the back and sides to facilitate better airflow and effectively making it a cai? Would this work effectively and what would be the downside of doing such a mod?
Have you tried just using a pod filter in the airbox for better airflow

H

harrop.senator

I used a hole saw, a piece of exhaust pipe 60mm long and a small sheet that I jb welded it to the side of the box and I run a flexible duct hose off of it down to where the fog light cover is in the bumper as I hate the noise on idle with the pod filter on the supercharged v6.