Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Opinions of VE

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Hi all

I have just sold my Vy ss sedan and looking to replace it with a VE sedan or Wagon(SS) .Just wanted to know what you all think of the VE....Build quality,reliabilty etc compared to the VY.
The prices of the VE seem to be coming down and i think not to bad for a 2007 model SS(around $28K-$30K)
Is the VE a good car?
Thanks

Alan

G8GT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VESS
I have a 2010 ve ss I am loving it but it has a crappy sound system and the the auto transmission A6 gearbox seems to have the famous 2-3 flare/harsh shift (Holden did not release a official fix yet) .

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Of course the VE is a better car (overall) compared to a VY.

G8GT, go see a decent tuner regarding the gearbox flaring and the harsh shifts. They can make adjustments in the tune to massively improve this.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Probably the best thing to do is have a scout around the VE section for problems other members have had.

Me personally I am on my second VE and anything which has gone wrong is purely just an annoyance ie speaker rattle and a rattle from the sunglass holder, no mechanical or reliability issue's to report.

The A and B pillars (well documented) make it tricky from a viewing standpoint but having said that you learn to move a bit more to see what's going on.

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
Probably the best thing to do is have a scout around the VE section for problems other members have had.

Me personally I am on my second VE and anything which has gone wrong is purely just an annoyance ie speaker rattle and a rattle from the sunglass holder, no mechanical or reliability issue's to report.

The A and B pillars (well documented) make it tricky from a viewing standpoint but having said that you learn to move a bit more to see what's going on.

haha the pillars are insane on the utes, i nearly gotta stick my head out the window just to see if anything is there

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
As per Darren. I am onto my second and have done just under 200,000 km in them. Pillars do take some getting used to. Overall the chassis dynamics and build quality is streets ahead of anything earlier. The center console plastics do feel a little cheap imo. I have never had a v6 version so can't comment on those drive trains however the 6 litre Auto is fine and I've never experienced the 2/3 flare mentioned above.

Reaper

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I love my VE; the only real issue I have had was with an after-market alarm system and that was easily rectified. There are quite a few test drive sites around with reviews on the VE Commodore range, it may be worth a read if you have the time. I haven't looked back since buying mine :w00t:

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
I love my VE SSV but it has come with its share of problems, air con compressor croaked, lock actuators faulty, heater hoses replaced twice due to leak, door wiring harness getting wet, HVAC module requiring replacement, Clutch replaced, man gearbox has been out twice and looks like it may for a third time.

In saying that I run a huge fleet of Commodores at work and haven't had the same probs, I think I was just unlucky with my particular one. Would I buy another one.. Yeah, an SSV Wagon or the R8 Tourer would suit me fine....

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
from a VY to a VE you wont look back mate. look in the recall thread at the top of the VE section for common issues to look out for when test driving, and like any 2nd hand car have a good look at service history. the A pillar does take getting used to, but you do get used to it... so dont let it turn you off. just remember that its thick for a reason. and definitely go the sportwagon... sex on wheels :).

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
Have owned a few cars over the years and driven a few different model Commodores. After driving an Omega from Sydney to Perth a few years back on hols, I can say it was the first car I'd driven that at the end of 8-9 hours driving, that I wasn't iching to get out of the car. For a domesticly built car, it's certainly at the top of it's game in the large car stakes. Whilst all cars have their problems and the VE is no exception, in my opinion it is truely one of the best cars made in this country for it's price range.

After my 7,000k odd road trip in the V6 Omega, for all it's faults (sump seals, A pillars, cheap plastics etc) I was hooked and now a 08 SSV lives in my garage........On long drives, it's a pleasure to drive and just eats up the highway.

As Molly Meldrum would say "Do yourself a favour" and take an SS for a test drive. You'll love it. End of model run out may well start soon too if Holden release the new faced lifted version this year.