Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Orange peel in new paint

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
Just wondering how I could get rid of the orange peel all over my car. The bottom is fine, it's a silver. But I have a dark blue metallic that shows the orange peel up. The roof isn't too bad. Just mainly the bonnet and doors that are a worry.

Scrusy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL wagon
You would happen to know a rough price. It's a Vl wagon

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
A lot of buffing with a sort of cutting compound might help you.
Might pay to see a car detailer in your town to see what they can offer.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Buffing alone won't get rid of peel - buffing pads, whether wool, microfibre or foam are flexible and will mould to the peel, and won't really do much to level it. Sanding is your best bet, and you will generally remove less clear by properly sanding (often by hand) the area than hacking at it with a rotary and a wool pad. It's very safe when done right and by someone who knows what they're doing and has the means to measure how much coating thickness is being removed throughout the process.

The work will not be cheap - could cost as much as spraying it did - if you get a cheap price from someone, run a mile. Levelling clear to perfect safely is a very involved process.

The other option is some of the new rayon and denim polishing pads that are available - I've not played with them yet, but reports are showing that they can go at least some of the way into reducing peel, though not removing it altogether. Again though, I would definitely suggest getting this done by a pro, as they will rip decent amounts of paint off fairly quickly and do require some significant refining.