Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Outside edge drivers side tire wear on a wagon

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know they were 60% worn but they weren’t shouldered at all, it was just depth of tread. I’ll swap em side to side and see what happens.

It's either the old tyres had the shoulder wear or you have a problem in the rear of the car, like a bent axle.

Maybe post a picture up of the rear of the car, directly from behind and from the side, showing how the rear tyres are standing....Might be able to pick if there is a problem with the axles, as that is the only thing that can cause the problem you are describing, from a suspension point of view

WhiteWhale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 wagon M5
It's either the old tyres had the shoulder wear or you have a problem in the rear of the car, like a bent axle.

Maybe post a picture up of the rear of the car, directly from behind and from the side, showing how the rear tyres are standing....Might be able to pick if there is a problem with the axles, as that is the only thing that can cause the problem you are describing, from a suspension point of view
Will do tomorrow.
I’ve been thinking about how to measure if toe angle is out. I think I’ll put the rear wheels up on blocks so I can measure the outer edges of the axle position relative to some point under the car. Who know if the fronts are where they are meant to be or if body panels are equal side to side on a 30 year old battle axe.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Will do tomorrow.
I’ve been thinking about how to measure if toe angle is out. I think I’ll put the rear wheels up on blocks so I can measure the outer edges of the axle position relative to some point under the car. Who know if the fronts are where they are meant to be or if body panels are equal side to side on a 30 year old battle axe.
Any reason a wheel alignment shop can't measure the toe in? They do it on my VQ rears.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I know they were 60% worn but they weren’t shouldered at all, it was just depth of tread. I’ll swap em side to side and see what happens.
You may then find the other wheel already has wear on the inside and if so, then you have possibly done a centre pin on the leaf springs and it is crabbing down the road.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You may then find the other wheel already has wear on the inside and if so, then you have possibly done a centre pin on the leaf springs and it is crabbing down the road.

Coil sprung rear, so I think we can discount that... :)

Will be interested to get pictures from behind and beside the car to see how the wheel is sitting :)

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I used to swap my rear tyres from left to right to try mitigate camber wear, I was told once a tyre wears in a particular spot, it will continue to deteriorate faster in that spot regardless of road contact.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the tyre had edge wear enough it will keep getting worse even when thrown on the back. You normally have to get to the side wear fairly early on to stop it progressing.