Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

over heating all the time!!!!!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah,i gotta agree with gen3_350_v8.3/4 really is too high,u should get the system pressure tested and look for ne small leaks.are u guys loosin much coolant?do u have to top up the reservoir every now and then?
ive got a vs and it never goes above half even when stationary,when im drivin its usually at about 1/4 or so depending on the whether.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
224,000 on the clock here..... as far as i know its always been running that temp since we got it......

we did have some major leaks in the coolant system ie. gas converter coolant leak, heater tap, radiator leak..... but there all replaced or fixed and not a drop of coolant goes missing now!!!....

still runs 1/2 to 3/4 temp at the lights........

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
there are two types of dashes one with tacho and one without

the one without tacho will go upto 3/4 and the fan will come on and drop back to 1/2
the one with tacho will go upto 1/2 and the fan will kick in and drop back to 1/4

so if you have no tacho then your temp is normal

G

grazza_vr

mine doin the same, soon as started playing around with pod filters n stuff temp would rise nearly ALL THE WAY UP. took off pod and only happens in bad traffic,hot day but not as high as before.

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
I have just had an issue with my VS where there was a small crack in the radiator plastic header tank on the drivers side. I had the tank replaced and whilst they were doing that they replaced the standard thermostat (196C) with a 180C unit. The old unit was stuck 1/2 open. She now sits at 1/4 most of the time. They said that they do this all the time as the standard unit was crap.

Try this and see how u go.

Wardie

KLR38L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V6
hows the water pump though??

everything but the water pump has been mentiond. i was havign the same problems n i got a new pump, now not a prob

Z

Z()LTAN

i have the same prob exactly, i got new radiator and new waterpump and thermostat but still all the same.. its just the way the thermoswitch is setup in most of the vs's, the thermofan dosent kick in soon enough, can b changed though

C

charged6_vsacclaim

Z()LTAN said:
i have the same prob exactly, i got new radiator and new waterpump and thermostat but still all the same.. its just the way the thermoswitch is setup in most of the vs's, the thermofan dosent kick in soon enough, can b changed though

how can u change the thermoswitch? i would like to no cos my vs acclaim does the same thing sits at 3/4 at the lights if im there long enough and as u would no the cars dont run as good when there hot like that

Crewman_Colin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman
VT Overheating after Gas Convertion

I have had this on 2 VTs now. After the gas conversion it intermittedly pressurizes the cooling system to the point where it pumps a substantial amount of water from the cooling system and the “TOO HOT” warning displays on the dash. You do get an indication just prior to the too hot warning, the engine runs rough and you get a smell of gas in the cabin, just after that the car boils. As a test you turn the gas off at the tank and the car will run seamlessly for months, within a day of turning the gas back on the same thing happens. The first VT we had the gas control unit changed under warranty and the problem went away. We are still fighting the with the second gas conversion company for them to accept the fact that there may be something wrong with the gas control unit as we have no other reason the suspect anything else. The cooling systems on both commodores where checked and shown to be fine. Don’t know if anyone has had the same problems??
Cheers
Colin