Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

over two years

metalfossil

Reaction score
okay, I know I'm going to catch hell for this.

I have a 1983 VH 253 that hasn't been driven (or started) for over 2 years; long story...

What precautions do I need to take to get it going again?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Take the spark plugs out, see if they are ok. If need to replace them. Take the coil lead off, turn the key and let the motor wind over a little while. Put the coil lead on and see if the little 253 starts.

I helped a mate out a fews ago with a 253 that hadn't been started for 15 years. Did the same thing above and it went, only just how ever.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I'd try jump starting her if she doesnt fire up.. Then give her a good long nice rev to clean the crap out.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
check vital fluids, make sure she has some in there!

robbo10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK/SL 3.3l AUTO SED.
Before you have the motor started and while you are checking the plugs, squirt a little oil into each cylinder, new plugs and points(depending on the motor type) wouldn't hurt but are not a must have. Also give it an oil change to drain out all the c**p and condensation that has gathered inside the sump. make sure you fit a good filter as well and be prepared to do this again within 500Km. (oil change and filter only) Charge up the battery and make sure it is still alright as well, they can collapse if unused for long periods. Jump starting will also help if you have another vehicle handy, or a mate helping. Once you get it started let it warm up. Take it for a couple of short trips if there is nothing leaking out of the motor anywhere, to make sure there is nothing wrong or broken, then drive it for at least a couple of hours to warm everything up, dry out and cook out all the wetness still inside the motor. It hides in strange places, and it also helps with drying out the insides of the starter and the alternator as well. Take a drive into a hilly area for best results. Long flat runs don't do much. Yeah, I know, it sounds like I live in Tasmania or the South Island of New Zealand. Things go rusty and mouldy in Brisbane and Darwin too.

metalfossil

Reaction score
Before you have the motor started and while you are checking the plugs, squirt a little oil into each cylinder, new plugs and points(depending on the motor type) wouldn't hurt but are not a must have. Also give it an oil change to drain out all the c**p and condensation that has gathered inside the sump. make sure you fit a good filter as well and be prepared to do this again within 500Km. (oil change and filter only) Charge up the battery and make sure it is still alright as well, they can collapse if unused for long periods. Jump starting will also help if you have another vehicle handy, or a mate helping. Once you get it started let it warm up. Take it for a couple of short trips if there is nothing leaking out of the motor anywhere, to make sure there is nothing wrong or broken, then drive it for at least a couple of hours to warm everything up, dry out and cook out all the wetness still inside the motor. It hides in strange places, and it also helps with drying out the insides of the starter and the alternator as well. Take a drive into a hilly area for best results. Long flat runs don't do much. Yeah, I know, it sounds like I live in Tasmania or the South Island of New Zealand. Things go rusty and mouldy in Brisbane and Darwin too.

Thanks for all the great advice...:)

Ahh, the South island of New Zealand....:thumbsup: