Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating issue

05_VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
That sounds exactly whats happening to mine.Will replace the water pump and flush the system then have a look see.Dunno about the Bars Leak thing though as all the ones we have here that I have seen dont have pellets in them, it just a plain liquid.

exastra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec 2004
Hi 05_VS_SS have a quick look at this link and you will see that Holden actually do use pellets to prevent any minor leaks;

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/52506-cooling-system-pellets.html

Bars Leak is a similar thing I believe (I've even read somewhere that guys use this stuff in race cars);
Bar's Leaks Liquid Radiator Stop Leak

and Bars do tablets too;
Bar's Leaks Radiator Stop Leak Tablets

Please note that I am not an advocate of Bars products, just that it might help if you use some kind of pellets as per Holden, that will help take up any minor leaks, especially if it wasn't leaking before and then after a flush it started leaking...

Cheers.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Holden dont use pellets anymore, at least my dealership doesnt and I wouldnt recommend it.

As for the coolant leaks always replace the cap first, cheapest and is a common point of failure.

Coolant leaking at the coolant reservouir can be caused by the cap failing and allowing coolant to bypass the cap and go into the reservouir which causes it to overflow and leak onto the floor.

Also water pumps do fail as does the O Ring in the coolant fitting above the water pump.

Best to check both before replacing a pump.

Again, stop leak products are bad they clog your radiator up dont use them.

SICKTG

Reaction score
My vz was overheating so I replaced the rad cap and thermostat it still over heated I grabbed one of the rad hoses and it was soft no pressure at all when I squeezed the hose I notices little drops of coolant seeping from the radiator so I head to autobarn get a replacement for 150 bucks mine was for v8 I think v6 are cheaper check eBay out there's also alloy tanked rads On eBay for very decent prices

05_VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I replaced the waterpump yesterday and got a new thermostat and radiator cap.Its not pushing the coolant through the water bottle anymore but its still overheating.The fans come on but it never goes off again.If I let it stand and idle the temp will stay at the 1/4 mark but if I ride it will go up pretty quickly.Couldnt see any oil in the coolant so I dunno if the headgaskets are gone or not.Really wanna get this sorted now as its winter and riding the bike to work is not funny anymore.

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I'm having a similar issue where the coolant is leaking from just behind the left front wheel close to the water bottle.The car has gone in to the dealers and they say the radiator is busted.They want AU$1300 to replace it.I have changed the thermostat and the radiator cap already.The funny thing is it only leaks after the car has been driven and you leave it to stand for awhile.Whats annoying is that it started doing this after the last service at the dealers but they dont want to accept responsibility.Any ideas what it could be?

Considering where the leak is coming from, the radiator may be cracked somewhere. If that's the case, it may be possible to repair the crack instead of forking out $1300 for a new radiator. Might cost around $100 or less.

If it's not coolant, it may be tranmission fluid leaking from the oil cooler, which is "behind the left front wheel close to the water bottle" as you said.

05_VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
SO today I decided to take out the thermostat to see what happens and no more overheating.The fan comes on at around 98 degrees celsius,coolant goes to around 108 and then starts coming down.The fan goes off again at around 94.So I removed the center part of the thermostat and put it back.Will see to get a new thermostat but its becoming expensive as this will be my 3rd in 3months.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
3rd thermostat in 3 months? That doesn't sound right.

Id just leave it gutted for a while and see if it fixes the problem