Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating

Vt Gurl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Berlina 3.8L
hi i have a vt commodore berlina as i came to the lights today pulling up temp gauge was at about halfway. Then it started to make a clacking sound then it just cut out and i couldnt turn the car back on!!!

I opened the bonet and the car was extremely hot but no pressure in the hoses or nothing and it had no water in the raditor as i was putting small bits of water in the engine it was so hot it was just bubbling!!! The car started after putting a bit of water in it and with a little bit of accelration do u know what could be wrong???

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
could be a lot of things , cracked tank in radiator, sticky thermostat, coolant leaking outa a split hose or the heater tap , wait till it cold then fill er up and see if you can see where its coming out of , betteryet tow it to your mechanic if your not too sure of what to look for , it could save you in the long run, it sounds like you may have been losing coolant for a while

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Do you know if the engine cooling fans were on at the time of overheating?

Vt Gurl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore V6 Berlina 3.8L
im not sure if the fans where on!!! It only just starting cutting out when its really hot!!! Thanks will try new thermostat today it hasnt been changed in a while so its probably not letting water through cause its sticky!!! But thanks will let u know how i go

VTvoodoo

99 VT S2
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
if its lacking water, then must be a leak somewhere, as mentioned when cold, put some water in it and see if u can find any leaks ,

common ones again as mention above,

heater tap (back of engine bay,drivers side,inline with battery) , its plastic so tends to crack

water pump or water pump gasket (middle'ish pully in front of engine) ,so check for drips and front of engine

spilt or loose hoses

hole in radiator

or dare i say, cracked head, head gasket