Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Take the heater tap off and have a good look at it.

When you refill the system make sure you fill it correctly,
Come to think of it, have you been doing that?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
In the city mine sits around half, and the fan will come on.
Highway sits at about a quarter. Also I think you mean a lower temp thermostat?
It opens at a lower temp, flowing coolant through. Just don't thrash the car when it's still cold.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
what damage could be caused if its thrashed while cold?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
what damage could be caused if its thrashed while cold?
It wears the crap out of everything and makes them rattle and knock not to mention the computer will not function correctly if the motor is not in the correct operating range as well as the auto.

Forget about all these band aid fixes and old wives tales.

Service the car correctly with the correct replacement parts.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I agree. I pretty much just idle my car along until its fully up to operating temp, only then will I rev the engine hard etc.. I use this engines full available power a lot, holding it flat when overtaking or flat through the gears getting up to 110 -120 when pulling onto the highway etc. Ive driven it like this from day one and I have not had one mechanical problem arise yet, this engine has just clocked up around 180,000 km. Same with the auto trans, I drive it like a manual a lot of the time, mainly for the engine braking effect it gives, it also cops a hard time too, and it still shifts etc as good as the day I got it. I put this reliability down mainly to two things, regular servicing-(some would say a bit over the top),and warming up the engine/drivtrain to their full operating temp before giving them any sort of a hard time.
Over the 25 or so years Ive owned and driven cars, Ive always followed these two things, and Ive never really had an engine that Ive looked after, blow up or fail unexpectedly in some way..

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I agree. I pretty much just idle my car along until its fully up to operating temp, only then will I rev the engine hard etc.. I use this engines full available power a lot, holding it flat when overtaking or flat through the gears getting up to 110 -120 when pulling onto the highway etc. Ive driven it like this from day one and I have not had one mechanical problem arise yet, this engine has just clocked up around 180,000 km. Same with the auto trans,..

I agree 100% with the pedal to the floor philosophy, but it's cost me 2 transmissions over the years - both suffered sheared sunshells. No problems with the engine however - can't beat Black and Gold engine oil eh!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I agree. I pretty much just idle my car along until its fully up to operating temp, only then will I rev the engine hard etc.. I use this engines full available power a lot, holding it flat when overtaking or flat through the gears getting up to 110 -120 when pulling onto the highway etc. Ive driven it like this from day one and I have not had one mechanical problem arise yet, this engine has just clocked up around 180,000 km. Same with the auto trans, I drive it like a manual a lot of the time, mainly for the engine braking effect it gives, it also cops a hard time too, and it still shifts etc as good as the day I got it. I put this reliability down mainly to two things, regular servicing-(some would say a bit over the top),and warming up the engine/drivtrain to their full operating temp before giving them any sort of a hard time.
Over the 25 or so years Ive owned and driven cars, Ive always followed these two things, and Ive never really had an engine that Ive looked after, blow up or fail unexpectedly in some way..

Couldn't have said it better myself.

This is one thing I stress to customers, particularly youths/P platers that come in and want their car's hotted up but they spend all their money on stereo's/custom work then never look after the engine/driveline.......My house is 3km from a 110km/h freeway so I make sure I run it for around 2-3 minutes in the garage then baby it to the freeway before I take it up to speed to merge in.

I have never had a problem, but I always maintain my cars, my engine gets serviced every 5000KM no excuses, my trans gets done every 25,000km max, and my diff every 50,000.

Any bushes/wearable parts get replaced on first sign of wear, not when they actually start playing up.

Treat your car right, it will treat you right.

Maybe I am just getting old but I would much rather spend my money keeping the car well maintained and running at its best than spending money on bolt on go fast bits and stereo's/bling etc.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Great. Thanks guys. Never thought of it like that.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I agree 100% with the pedal to the floor philosophy, but it's cost me 2 transmissions over the years - both suffered sheared sunshells. No problems with the engine however - can't beat Black and Gold engine oil eh!

Even black and gold brand oil is a hell of a lot better than some old oil thats been left in the engine for a year or two.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Well by the looks of it, it was a very minor thing overlooked at the time, was no apparent or evident proof at the time, but now my radiator cap was ####ed, royally, so hopefully after all this time, it fixes it.