Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
As a side note:

The laws currently (in vic) are: no turbos (unless diesel), no supercharged engines, 120kw/tonne (maybe 125kw? correct me if im wrong) and no v8s period.

My situation is this: I learnt to drive in my dad's CV8 2002 monaro. My mum currently drives that whilst dad drives a v8 landcruiser, and our other car is an old 308 HZ GTS that we restored.

I currently drive a VZ SV6, which is quicker than 2 of the 3 above cars, (the 2002 monaro ran a 14.9 vs my 15.1 at calder, so not far off anyway) and I cant drive ANY of them legally...

I wont complain about the restrictions, I completely understand the reasoning behind them (though i still dont understand why they say "do it on a track where it's legal", but dont provide one to do it on), but the laws dont allow for people's circumstances, and are overly intrusive in completely harmless situations....

Also, the "young driver killed after driving twice the limit at 160 into a pole" stories have more to do with his drunkeness, NOT his car!! why does it matter what he was driving, he was drunk, he could have been driving anything and still been an idiot?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
As a side note:

The laws currently (in vic) are: no turbos (unless diesel), no supercharged engines, 120kw/tonne (maybe 125kw? correct me if im wrong) and no v8s period.

My situation is this: I learnt to drive in my dad's CV8 2002 monaro. My mum currently drives that whilst dad drives a v8 landcruiser, and our other car is an old 308 HZ GTS that we restored.

I currently drive a VZ SV6, which is quicker than 2 of the 3 above cars, (the 2002 monaro ran a 14.9 vs my 15.1 at calder, so not far off anyway) and I cant drive ANY of them legally...

I wont complain about the restrictions, I completely understand the reasoning behind them (though i still dont understand why they say "do it on a track where it's legal", but dont provide one to do it on), but the laws dont allow for people's circumstances, and are overly intrusive in completely harmless situations....

Also, the "young driver killed after driving twice the limit at 160 into a pole" stories have more to do with his drunkeness, NOT his car!! why does it matter what he was driving, he was drunk, he could have been driving anything and still been an idiot?

they dont have the power to weight anymore. just to let you know. the other restrictions you posted are the current laws though.

dont want to kinda state an obvious, but they do have tracks to do it on.
Heathcote. Calder. Winton. just to name a few.
Drag days/nights and Track days.
the major problem is that people dont want to wait until then, or cannot afford it (although winton is fairly well priced in my opinion)
in the end its all about self preservation and not giving into the peer pressure of doing it illegally. (which plenty of it is)

there are other people that wont be stopped by laws. regs. and everything else under the sun.
and you'll always see these people in the news then more calls for harsher restrictions.
and thats the way it will be. because simple minded people cannot see beyond the glorified current affairs news to the truth behind it all.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Im a p plater and I personally reckon dont allow, I don't want to be arrogant but i reckon/know im a better driver than alot of p platers and although i can handle them (learn't in a 6L) i don't see the need for P platers to be allowed to drive them as 90% can't handle 4 cylinder cars

5ltrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Its all driver mentality. a nerd isnt gonna thrash around a 6L v8, but a hoon would. a young dumb stupid male/female will flog the **** out of anything. I can get my sisters 4cyl kia wheels spinning... albeit hardlock in the wet, its still being a ########. driver education, if it hasn't been mentioned, is what it comes down to. i drove a 400hp cleveland for my first car, 5.8L and i went through all my P's with a clean sheet driving record. I even got a letter from vicroads offering me a discount for my new rego-reneweal. No1 is the the stig on the roads, and idiots should stop acting like they are.

doccortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Sedan
I drive a 450kw L98 SS - there is no way on this planet I would allow my son to drive it, without me next to him.

Driving is an aquired skill, which takes time and practise. I do not hoon, I do not act like a tool. I leave my dragging to the strip, and track days.

Unfortunately, younger guys see it as something else, then end up killing themselves, or someone else.

End of Story

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
If you want to drive a V8 on P's, do what I did. I got an ABN and registered a business name. So I can legally drive a V8 if it is registered in the business name. That isn't the reason I done all that anyway, if anything, I will get a turbo diesel Colorado.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'd check on state laws before I did that, it doesnt apply in every state. Certainly not in QLD. Thats gotta be the really annoying part for P platers, hearing about other states that dont have the same restrictions or even like WA, no restrictions at all.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have checked and it is right, but like I said, I didn't do all that to drive a V8 anyway, because it has to be a ute and registered in the business name. Been leaning towards a Colorado rather then a Commodore V8 ute.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I actually meant for other states.

You cant make a statement like 'If you want to drive a V8 on P's, do what I did. I got an ABN and registered a business name. So I can legally drive a V8 if it is registered in the business name.' unless you want to quantify it with 'In Vic, if you want to drive..'

I know it seems hard to believe, but some people from other states will most likely be dashing down to register a small business based on your advice. Some people DONT check, and there are some seriously unintelligent people on the forum :D.

I'd say your version of the law is the same one as mentioned earlier, you are allowed to drive your employers car, and you are circumventing that one by becoming the employer. If so, its a loophole that needs closing IMO, and doesnt apply in most states anyway..

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I actually meant for other states.

You cant make a statement like 'If you want to drive a V8 on P's, do what I did. I got an ABN and registered a business name. So I can legally drive a V8 if it is registered in the business name.' unless you want to quantify it with 'In Vic, if you want to drive..'

I know it seems hard to believe, but some people from other states will most likely be dashing down to register a small business based on your advice. Some people DONT check, and there are some seriously unintelligent people on the forum :D.

I'd say your version of the law is the same one as mentioned earlier, you are allowed to drive your employers car, and you are circumventing that one by becoming the employer. If so, its a loophole that needs closing IMO, and doesnt apply in most states anyway..

Yeah sorry now I know what you mean. I will be off P-Plates next year anyway so i'm not worried about rushing to get a V8 anymore.