Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters

Reflector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS SII
Being a P plater I personally reckon that; seeing as there are now two stages (Red and Green). You should be restricted to a 4cyl (Non turbo or performance modified) car for the whole duration of your Red P's. That's a total of one year being restricted to power, and the other rules that go with it. Once on your Green P's, and legally an adult (if you got your licence at 17) you should have the freedom to get a high powered vehicle AND the knowledge/experience to judge your limits. If you are ignorant to the fact you can die so easily doing stupid **** really, it's your own fault. But if it's another drivers doing, well that's a whole different argument.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Once on your Green P's, and legally an adult (if you got your licence at 17) you should have the freedom to get a high powered vehicle AND the knowledge/experience to judge your limits.

Explain how this will occur?

Once you are on your green 'P' you should still be thankful you have still been given the privelege of a car licence.

You don't use your time gaining experience in traffic and vehicle handling, risk perception and management by belting an overpowered vehicle to learn your limits. A good sensible driver never reaches their limits.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Being a P plater I personally reckon that; seeing as there are now two stages (Red and Green). You should be restricted to a 4cyl (Non turbo or performance modified) car for the whole duration of your Red P's. That's a total of one year being restricted to power, and the other rules that go with it. Once on your Green P's, and legally an adult (if you got your licence at 17) you should have the freedom to get a high powered vehicle AND the knowledge/experience to judge your limits. If you are ignorant to the fact you can die so easily doing stupid **** really, it's your own fault. But if it's another drivers doing, well that's a whole different argument.

yeah sure that works...youve spent one year on the roads, most of them probably doing 50km's a week to and from school and work. yeah thats enough experience. heres the keys to a veyron. go nuts

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute

So you are saying one year on your P's gives you enough experience to jump from an N/A 4 cylinder into a turbo / supercharged / V8 car? I have had my license for a while now (i'm almost 25), i don't think even i am experienced enough to expect all things that could possibly happen in a high powered vehicle.

I reckon there are some 50 year olds out there who wouldn't either. Alot of people may THINK they have the knowledge and experience and feel very confident driving a high powered vehicle (myself included), but you are ALWAYS learning when you are driving in my opinion, even when you are 30, 40 or 50 years old etc etc.

I personally think it should go: No modified vehicles of any kind on your P's (red AND green), THEN, if you are willing to take a risk and jump into a high powered vehicle when you are fully licensed, that's the freedom of choice you get. I think that's the way it already is anyway isn't it?

Reflector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS SII
Explain how this will occur?

Once you are on your green 'P' you should still be thankful you have still been given the privelege of a car licence.

You don't use your time gaining experience in traffic and vehicle handling, risk perception and management by belting an overpowered vehicle to learn your limits. A good sensible driver never reaches their limits.

Experience does come with time... How much is based on your ability to respect the power you have and your maturity level. You start learning younger, you're (generally) going to be better at what you practiced earlier. I also said 'judge' your limits, this means by now you should know that cars are dangerous and doing stupid **** WILL result in something bad sooner or later. In no way did I mention you stop learning or gaining experience once you get your green P's. I also never implied that by obtaining a high powered vehicle means you're automatically going to be hooning in it, what about a 'sunday' car? By becoming an adult you should have the freedom to choose what you want to drive. Same with alcohol. You become an adult, you can legally buy it and consume it. This does not mean that if you're a ******** you're going to act responsibly while under the influence just because you're an adult. And even though the vast majority seems to be 'teens hooning' in powerful vehicles, I know people on their opens that do far more stupid **** than my P plate friends.

I'm just saying that you should have a choice once you're an adult, because apparently you're old enough to go to jail, buy alcohol and go clubbing... So why not have the choice of vehicle you drive?

So you are saying one year on your P's gives you enough experience to jump from an N/A 4 cylinder into a turbo / supercharged / V8 car? I have had my license for a while now (i'm almost 25), i don't think even i am experienced enough to expect all things that could possibly happen in a high powered vehicle.

I reckon there are some 50 year olds out there who wouldn't either. Alot of people may THINK they have the knowledge and experience and feel very confident driving a high powered vehicle (myself included), but you are ALWAYS learning when you are driving in my opinion, even when you are 30, 40 or 50 years old etc etc.

I personally think it should go: No modified vehicles of any kind on your P's (red AND green), THEN, if you are willing to take a risk and jump into a high powered vehicle when you are fully licensed, that's the freedom of choice you get. I think that's the way it already is anyway isn't it?

Like I said to the above post man, you DON'T stop learning, and I know that. There's people that THINK they know everything and THINK they have the knowledge and experience (like you said). But they are the ones that under estimate the potential and the danger of HOONING in high powered vehicles. Driving one sensibly is a different story.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
If Brocky can die in a high performance car why cant anyone else . Even those just off P plates . low performance drivers in high performance badly modified and poorly maintained cars ????

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Experience does come with time... How much is based on your ability to respect the power you have and your maturity level. You start learning younger, you're (generally) going to be better at what you practiced earlier. I also said 'judge' your limits, this means by now you should know that cars are dangerous and doing stupid **** WILL result in something bad sooner or later. In no way did I mention you stop learning or gaining experience once you get your green P's. I also never implied that by obtaining a high powered vehicle means you're automatically going to be hooning in it, what about a 'sunday' car? By becoming an adult you should have the freedom to choose what you want to drive. Same with alcohol. You become an adult, you can legally buy it and consume it. This does not mean that if you're a ******** you're going to act responsibly while under the influence just because you're an adult. And even though the vast majority seems to be 'teens hooning' in powerful vehicles, I know people on their opens that do far more stupid **** than my P plate friends.

I'm just saying that you should have a choice once you're an adult, because apparently you're old enough to go to jail, buy alcohol and go clubbing... So why not have the choice of vehicle you drive?

What it's all about is learning to drive full stop before you worry about your experience in high powered cars.

Is the world going to stop because you have to wait before you are off your P's? No.

Given that most P Platers are in their teens it just one of thing where it is better to wait.

I suppose it's better to start drinking alcohol at 14 so you are ready to hit the sauce big time when you are 18?

What experience do you need in a V8/Turbo as a P Plater?

It's not just a generational thing but it is more amplified in recent years that young adults want more sooner. It is sometimes better to wait an ease into your experience that to bombard yourself all at once.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
I am a P plater, I drove only v8's on my L's, I am used to reasonably high powered cars, my mate has a lamborghini murcilago, that thing is just a fu**ing monster, that's what i would call a very high performance car, However, I think it comes down to the driver. If you're going to be an absolute speed fein, then you should be restricted, however, I know there would be a hand full of drivers who are sensible and as stated above would like to have the extra power if they need it. I drive a VR Ute and that has enough power for me, no it's not some 6L v8 monster or a 7L v12 monster like my mates lambo, but they are fine, and yeah like others have also said, the new v6's put out more bloody power than the stock vs 5L, now thats nuts!

Reflector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Acclaim VS SII
What it's all about is learning to drive full stop before you worry about your experience in high powered cars.

Is the world going to stop because you have to wait before you are off your P's? No.

Given that most P Platers are in their teens it just one of thing where it is better to wait.

I suppose it's better to start drinking alcohol at 14 so you are ready to hit the sauce big time when you are 18?

What experience do you need in a V8/Turbo as a P Plater?

It's not just a generational thing but it is more amplified in recent years that young adults want more sooner. It is sometimes better to wait an ease into your experience that to bombard yourself all at once.

Man, we could both go on for and extended time discussing this back and forth, there's pros and cons to both sides. But like strgas said, you don't get much more experienced than Brock and the unfortunate happened to him. Rules are rules and apparently there's no changing them. Haha, I don't know why I'm so terribly fussed about this because I go on my opens in 6months anyway, and even then I'll probably stick to my 6cyl. Just voicing my opinion :), after all, that seems to be what forums are based on these days.

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
getting my P's when the laws first came out i was pissed. Now I picked up my first powerful car being a vl turbo and just got my full licence. its bullshit fast and basically stock with 2.5" exhaust, external waste gate and high flow turbo. If I had this thing when i first got my P's i would of wrapped my self around a tree already.

After driving it going back to my N/A VL 5 speed it feels like driving a hyundai excell