Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P Platers and High Performance cars.....

P Platers

• Allowed High Perfomance Cars

Votes: 266 47.7%
  • Not Allowed High Performance Cars

Votes: 223 40.0%
  • Allowed them, but not allowed to drive/licence them

Votes: 50 9.0%
  • Im not a P plater, nor do I Care

Votes: 51 9.1%

• Total voters
R

rattattack1313

"Ratt,Mate you have to give way to any vehicle, whether merging left or right, when indicating for 30 meters or more. that's 6 cars lengths. there's a ticket for not yielding to a vehicle indicating for that distance in NSW. So if a car merging from the left is indicating for like say 50 meters ".........I couldn't agree more, Helly, it's the f@#tards that just put their indicator on at the last second, (if at all) and take it as their God-given right to push into the gap between me and the car in front.......I don't have the book of rules in front of me at the moment, but I have always been led to believe , that when I am in a lane,and some-one goes to join my lane, (unless there is a "Merge" sign),they had to give way, because 1st it's my lane, and 2nd they are crossing a dotted line...that means give way, doesn't it???

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Rattattack1313 :I don't have the book of rules in front of me at the moment, but I have always been led to believe , that when I am in a lane,and some-one goes to join my lane, (unless there is a "Merge" sign),they had to give way, because 1st it's my lane, and 2nd they are crossing a dotted line...that means give way, doesn't it???[/QUOTE]

Thats the impression I had too.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
Yeah that's the whole point of giving due notice of your intention to merge into any lane (indicating). If I'm indicating from left to right and I have had my idicator on for the required period of time and I am travelling at the required speed you must yield. We are all travelling in the same direction in this instance so we have to give way to the person in front who is merging unless it is unsafe to do so... This is moreso in regards to thois who like to block people by accelerating and getting in their blind spot and then backing off again, that sort of thing.

This relates directly to the situation of a 'merging lane'...

Australian Road Rules:
'149 Giving way when lines of traffic merge into a single line
of traffic': This means Merging lanes

A driver in a line of traffic that is merging with one or more
lines of traffic travelling in the same direction as the driver
must give way to a vehicle in another line of traffic if any part
of the vehicle is ahead of the driver’s vehicle.

J

Jamie W

I think that there should be no limmit. Yeah, some P platers if they had a powerful car would use it to its full extent, I know I would. But I can see the people who don't break the law on P's that would suffer. A friend of mine is on his P's and owns a 450 chev Firebird and a 351 corvette, he never goes over the speed limit, nor illegally races. What would people like him have to do? Wait years before he can use the items he spent thousands of dollars on?

Curfew? Totaly unfair, how can we drive to the club? How can we get to work? Go home from a mates place. A curfew is totaly unreasonable.

Limit passangers? I have just as much chance as crashing by my self as I do with 3-4 passangers in my car, so that defeats the point. :b:

I hope if they do restrict power that they alow 6 cyl's at least.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Jamie W said:
I think that there should be no limmit. Yeah, some P platers if they had a powerful car would use it to its full extent, I know I would. But I can see the people who don't break the law on P's that would suffer. A friend of mine is on his P's and owns a 450 chev Firebird and a 351 corvette, he never goes over the speed limit, nor illegally races. What would people like him have to do? Wait years before he can use the items he spent thousands of dollars on?

Curfew? Totaly unfair, how can we drive to the club? How can we get to work? Go home from a mates place. A curfew is totaly unreasonable.

Limit passangers? I have just as much chance as crashing by my self as I do with 3-4 passangers in my car, so that defeats the point. :b:

I hope if they do restrict power that they alow 6 cyl's at least.
Not another one............
First how can he afford them?
Second how can he register them?
Third I don't know of any 450 chevs?
Fourth why does he have a Ford engine in a vette?
AirStrike :air:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Limit passangers? I have just as much chance as crashing by my self as I do with 3-4 passangers in my car, so that defeats the point.

Because if you crash by yourself you die. And not 4 of your mates. Not thinking on the right wave length here.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
WARNING: This is a bit long winded but hey, its my nature

Exactly...

Most of you seem to be totally engrosed in one point. Yourselves!!!

And this is what maturity and responsibility are all about, thinking about consequences and the rights of others. None of us are born with maturity, funnily enough it comes with time, as we mature...

We mature in every avenue of our lives whether it be driving, dealing with people, our job etc.

I think I have said this before, but here it goes again anyway:

If you get a job at Qantas, do you really think that they will just give you the keys and let you fly around in what ever you want and take as many people along with you on the first day????

NO WAY IN HELL...

More people die on our roads each year than have died flying in this country full stop! What makes any of you think that you DESERVE to drive what ever you like with whom ever you like from day 1. As far as I'm concerned we should all have to prove ourselves before we are let loose out there in cars that inspire us to speed, or do the next corner a little sideways. Once we have proved that we have maturity on the roads then, Hell Yeah, go out and get in a 350hp machine and drive it.

And know you are a good driver, not just THINK IT...

You know, I have scraped a few heads off telegraph poles in my time, where the drivers were doing between 90-230 km/h in Skylines, Wrx's, Xr6t's, SS's, 180SX's RX7's and even a Porsche GT3, most of the time in areas that were propbably only safe for 70 or 80. And out of them all, there was only two classes of driver's, P-Platers and Crooks. In my experience, you both have one thing in common, you think you won't die... And another funny point, every crook that has died in a stolen car in NSW in the last 5 years has been under the age of 25...

So how about you all go out there and drive like saints, and prove everyone out there wrong and stop whinning about things that haven't happened yet.

I don't agree with all of the proposed changes either but if things don't shape up on the roads soon, its gunna happen.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
From what I have read at the rta site, these are no longer proposed changes, they are long past the proposal stage and will be in force soon.

Helly: interesting fact about all the car stealing crims who have died being under 25, but I am also looking at it on another slant, hopefully it just means that all the car stealing scum have been caught before they are 25, but more likely those over 25 have had so much experience they could take out a V8 supercars championship.

I have been paying close attention to these new rules that will come under enforcement, because they will directly affect me. Luckily enough though they will only affect p plater drivers under 26. There will be exemptions, for instance if the only car your family owns is a v8 you can apply for an exemption abd be allowed to drive it, there will also be exemptions for those working studying at night or with family commitments to cover the curfews and passenger restrictions.

Whilst I don't agree with these measures they are taking I am glad they have allowed for peoples different circumstances. Just had a random thought pop into my head, all these car crashes with P platers dying in high powered cars, who is driving, most often its young, inexperienced MALES. Maybe they should just make those rules for the males who have spoilt of for the better half of our population, but they would never do that that would be sexist :shutup: Stupid boys and their toys ;)

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Better training

I do alot of reading on these forums but though I would put my opinion forward just this once :)

A lot needs to be done to help produce better attitudes and standards of driver on our roads, young and old. Better driver training is needed. Proper courses that you have to enroll in and attend, government funded to some extent but not in its entirity because you should always have to pay for a privilege, (eg diving/shooting/parachuting/pilot) and this starts as part of your schooling when your young. This should be aimed at more than teaching new drivers the road rules but teaching them attitude and hammer into new drivers that a drivers licence is not a right its a privilege.

I think it was too easy to get my licence (ive had it 10yrs). All I did was pass a test that asked me some road rules and how far I should park from stuff and right away im allowed out on the road hopefully with someone that is going to teach me a good attitude towards driving. I then jumped in the car and did 8 lessons with an instructor that ticked me off on whether I could park, check my mirrors, apply the handbrake, do a u turn. I learnt nothing theoretical about car control and how a car would behave if I slammed on the brakes or pulled hard on the steering at high speed. Nothing about accident avoidance or observation above and beyond just looking at the car infront of you. I then got my P's, so Im only allowed to drive up to 80kms hr and will maybe (if I dont bluf the courts) loose my licence IF I get caught.

I think then to maintain your licence you should have to prove your competance every few years in more than just knowing how to operate a car but in how to deal with other road users, avoid accidents and be considerate of the other road users. Alot of people need this taught to them. They arnt like the majority of the folk I read on these forums.

If you think about how big a part of our lives driving is there is absolutly no focus on maintaining our skills apart from ongoing experience, which some people just dont learn from or are never exposed to certain situations until its to late.

In closing :) There will always be road deaths from young drivers stretching the limits. The only thing that can be done for this is educating how fragile your life is and how easy it is to loose it. This goes for all drivers though in more than just the hoon situation. The police will acheive nothing in my opinion as thier response is only treating the symtoms.

In my opinion more money needs to go into driver training. It would nice to see more go into roads but its not the roads that kill its the drivers that dont know how to safely navigate them.

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
4 O'clock Knock

Koontz, and All (This is REALLY LONG)

There are plenty of Police out there doing a lot outside their daily duties to attempt to reduce road trauma. There is a program called the "4 O'clock Knock" which is run at schools and youth groups in the southern parts of NEW SOUTH WALES, I'm not sure about interstate.

The Police involved don't mention getting tickets once. They talk about the affects on friends, families people you don't know, like cops and ambo's and firies and other driverS.

They also talk in terms of not just killing yourself but what happens to the guys/gals that survive and are fine and live with the guilt of survival and the ones that live but don't fair so well.

One of the most powerful things I saw at one of these nights was the reaction that a paralympian received when he told a room a young guys, the worst thing was that he was could never walk again, and even worse could never get a 'stiffy' (his words). Mate dying isn't gunna happen to any of you if you get asked, I'd say the same, cos its the last thing we want, we won't accept it.

And besides you can't bring a dead person to one of these nights to talk to everyone can you. But you can put this guy in front of them and they can't ingnore it. So anyway this is just one sort of thing that needs to be put in place more widely and funded by the government also, cos it works.

This program was actually writyten about by Street Machine some time back.

At the moment, Police, Ambo's, Firies, Doctors, Paralympians, Parents and others all volunteer to do this, they don't get paid by the RTA or their work or anyone else, they just do it cos they don't want to see young people or anyopne for that matter dying on our roads.

Probably the most powerful and disturbing thing that I have to do in my job and that most of you would have no idea about is that when I go to a Parents house at 4' O Clock (hence the name of the program, cos its normally the early hours of the morning) your Mum will be the first one out of bed and standing at the window when she hears the car pull up, cos she's not really asleep. She thinks its you comming home, and then she makes out the police car, and see's two uniforms walking to the door, alone. She knows what we are going to say to her before we open our mouths. And then who knows what to expect from there, but usually its sobbing and crying, and then Dad wakes up and the usually timmid good natured bloke starts yelling at me and treatening me with physical harm cos he thinks I'm a liar and wants me out of his house cos he doesn't want to know that his son/daughter is dead.

Then they want to see you, and it can't always happen, cos trust me I've seen you and I'm gunna have nightmares anyway, why do Mum and Dad have to go through it too. But then again someone has to come down and ID you cos officially unless I know you, like maybe I see you every day at Macca's, I can't do it. Then Mum and Dad have to decide, does one of them come down or do they both come together. They both come, they always do. Then they have to see you layed out on a bed with whatever horrific injuries you have sustained. Then they say your name and start crying again and I was hoping up until this point that we were wrong and that the ID we found in his pocket was his mate's that he borrowed to get into the night club and he's safe and sound somewhere.

Then we have to talk to Mum and Dad about a whole heap of crap that they don't want to talk about, but it has to be done. Then I tell them to go home and get their favourite photo of you and look at it, and burn it into their memory cos that's how they need to remember you. They don't need to remember you stretched out on a bed at the Hospital or Morgue...

Then I give them some of your stuff like the JAG wallet they gave you when you got your licence, so you could throw away that Quicksilver velcro thing.

We ask them if there's anything we can do for them, and sometimes we get an angry look from Dad and get told, "You could have pulled him over and stopped him before this all happened..." And I wish I did.

So Guys, believe me COPS are out there doing more than just giving out tickets, and some times off their own bat. But its legal action/tickets are the only ammo the Government and the People that elect them provide. Mind you even if we had given you ticket just before the above sort of thing happened, we would still be getting blamed for not doing enough.

At the end of the day it is YOU behind the wheel, take some responsibility, and have a little maturity admitt you've done the wrong thing if you break the road rules. Cos when you take the attitude that the COPS are just out to get us you don't get the message. I personally have a chat to more young blokes and gals on the road than I issue tickets cos I know from experience that if I say mate I don't want you to lose your licence for something this stupid so just do me a favour and take it easy', I'm gunna get a better response. But if I see the same **** again you're getting a ticket (But that's just me).

The road isn't a race track or a place to have fun. Its simply there to get you from A-B and thats all.

And just for those of you who think that the above is a nice piece of creative writing, its not. Its probably spot on with what really happens when I have to do a 4 O'clock Knock every couple of weeks. And its very very close to what happened when the COPS turned up at my house to tell me and my Mum that my Sister was dead because some 19 year old ******** drove her into the rear end of a parked semi. Why because, he was too busy having a discussion with they guys in the back and forgot that his grilfriend's head was aimed straight at the right tail light of a 20 tonne monster.

If any of you are in the Southern Riverina Area of NSW and can contribute to something like the program above them PM me and I'll get something happening down here.

All most of us are asking is that you think about **** and I mean really think about it. You're not out there playing soccer, you're out there throwing around 1300 kilos of steel at each other... If you F&#@ UP the penalty is a little worse than a corner kick.

Sorry about the length, just somehting that needs to be said.