Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0018

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
How many people have been affected by this fault in the 06 model. Second question how many people had it fixed under good will or a percentage of the cost and how many paid for it and what price. Car is under 100 000 but out of warranty period of course but Holden in Wagga Wagga are quoting $3500. It has been service there since new so I'm not liking there workmanship if the car needs fixing which is a 3rd of the vehicle cost considering how much it has been serviced. Is the saying take care of the car and it will take care of you vanished?

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
ahhh, stretched timing chain??? that's the code on my ve omega i had before. was quoted $2600 (no good will) to fix from holden in wollongong, didn't have the money so i fixed it myself for $1200. all good now.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
How many people have been affected by this fault in the 06 model. Second question how many people had it fixed under good will or a percentage of the cost and how many paid for it and what price. Car is under 100 000 but out of warranty period of course but Holden in Wagga Wagga are quoting $3500. It has been service there since new so I'm not liking there workmanship if the car needs fixing which is a 3rd of the vehicle cost considering how much it has been serviced. Is the saying take care of the car and it will take care of you vanished?

i would be contacting fair trading(showing JC stretched timing chain thread), if the car has had a good history of services there should be no reason to get it replaced for free even if it wasn't in warranty period.

VNSSMAN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5ltr
ahhh, stretched timing chain??? that's the code on my ve omega i had before. was quoted $2600 (no good will) to fix from holden in wollongong, didn't have the money so i fixed it myself for $1200. all good now.
I just read your threads, a lot of work im assuming. I dont think i could do that, it was harder enough to get spark plugs in ;) We are about to have a baby and my wife needs to use that car. We will call Holden assistance Monday and see what the deal is, there seems to be enough people here who have had success with some sort of help. If you had to do the job again how long do you think it would take you considering you have now done it once and assumably still have the right tools?

vicarious, I will seek some help regarding fair trading, however I dont really wanna go that far, however $3500 is a lot of money. People dont wanna spend that sort of money even on there kids education let alone a car. I have saved a lot of JC talk but it could just be BS to holden! And I bought this car from Rundles Auction and they withheld information. I could only go off k's and supposably good service history which holden performed. Im annoyed at them too. Funny when things go wrong we want to get stuck into everyone and vent but when things are good we never think twice how bad the company is.

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
I will seek some help regarding fair trading, however I dont really wanna go that far

you may have to go down this route as holden will fob you off,fair trading will most likely find in your favour as this seems like a common fault with stretched timing chains, even though its not in warranty the goods have last a reasonable time.

Dorbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 Ve Commodore Omega & 94 Suzuki Swift Gti
I had same problem and got quoted $3000 to fix and Holden customer care would not help due too being the second owner of the car and the car itself being too far out of the warranty period. After starting to get the work done it turned out the previous owner (a fleet company) did not service it properly anyway so I was lucky enough to have found a replacement engine with about the same amount of k's as mine for $2500. Hopefully you find an easy solution to your problem if Holden won't help you out.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Sorry to cut in but I`m getting my Sportwagon SV6 soon.
P0018 that is US fault codes or Aussie codes?
Where do I get a list for the fault codes for VE?
Like this Just Commodores - For All Your Holden Commodore Needs
Cheers Peter.

PS.Gregorys ???????????

US and AU codes for the VE/G8 are the same, try searching for the following title and you'll be able to get a full list: "LY7 ve falut codes??"

...and yes, fault is misspelled :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`m getting a new VE so I don`t know everything about it I have alot to learn about VEs.
Same as my VS first computer car.
Did alot of reading and asked when I didn`t know something and got help from members on here and also give some advise back.
I love this place I look for answers and when I get stuck I ask.

Thanks for that.

And when I gave some help I would give the member links that they need.
When we are pulling our hair out it is nice to get a helping hand.

Last edited:

wizeabe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I`m getting a new VE so I don`t know everything about it I have alot to learn about VEs.
Same as my VS first computer car.
Did alot of reading and asked when I didn`t know something and got help from members on here and also give some advise back.
I love this place I look for answers and when I get stuck I ask.

Thanks for that.

And when I gave some help I would give the member links that they need.
When we are pulling our hair out it is nice to get a helping hand.

I completely agree, this forum is a great place for advice and generally searching is more encouraged than just providing a link as an answer because there are those who don't even bother searching, generally new members which you are obviously not. So how would those new members learn to even search if we all just gave links to posts that are already available through the search function. It is unfortunate that the title had a spelling mistake but the title I provided is just as good as a link for the general user.

You're welcome.