Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0301 & P0303 (Cylinder 1 & 3 Misfire) on Holden Astra 2009 (AH) - Thoughts and Advice Please

JamesD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series 2 (2001)
Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of a friend.

Could we please request your assistance.
My friend has a Holden Astra 2009 (AH) which was misfiring and stalling frequently (which got progressively worse) a few weeks ago.
He has taken it into the mechanic, they have hooked up their scan tool which has reported the following codes

- P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected)
- P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected)

My friend did a little research on his own and after doing a bit of research on the issue, it appears that the Coil Pack is a common issue with Astra AH models (Maybe other Astra's). The mechanic has suggested to replace the Coil Pack (Which we thought as much as per the prior research) but they have also suggested to replace the Spark Plugs.

When questioned regarding what they have found with the Spark Plugs (Eg. Did they do a resistance test, visually inspect the Spark Plug for damage etc) they didn't exactly give us a valid reason and suggested replacing them to rule them out. The Astra was purchased from a Used-Dealership about 4 months ago (Give or take) and my friend was verbally told that they did a Service on it.

They have quoted approx $500 in parts (Excluding Labour) to replace the coil + Spark Plugs

What we're wanting to know is

- Should the Spark Plugs also be replaced, or just the Coil Pack
- Does $500 (Parts Only) for Spark Plug & Coil Pack sound reasonable? A request for them to itemise the cost-difference between the 4 Spark Plugs and the Coil Pack has been requested as they have combined the total of both instead of providing an itemised list with prices.

Thank you in advance.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
As they are charging you to work on it they have to use decent parts they are probably going to use genuine parts.
It probably wants plugs. Now you now why people buy cheap ebay parts as you cant fit them you are wasting you time with the cheap stuff as they may wear out quickly.